Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've read a lot about belt squealing here, but not sure on an answer for my situation. I have a 2002 Forester with a recently swapped JDM 2.0. When the car is started cold, the belt squeals, but only if the AC is on. I had the AC belt replaced (didn't even have one when I bought the car) this spring. I did a visual inspection and none of the belts look worn and they don't look loose either. The belt will squeal for a minute or two and then it goes away completely. It's annoying, but more importantly, I don't want any permanent damage.

I'm not a car guy, my FIL replaced the belt, but he's out of commission for a while. Is there something specific I should look at before just running it to a shop?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,724 Posts
Can you twist the belt beyond 90 degrees? If yes, then belt is still loose and needs tightening.

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
4,004 Posts
That type of squeal is "USUALLY" due to slippage of the belt. Used to be that it was a good idea to NOT start the car with AC on, as the "jolt" of starting the car and the AC could sometimes stretch the belt (over time) just a tad bit and lead to the squeal.

So leave the AC off until you start the car. Then turn on the AC.

I'm not familiar with the belt lay out on your year Foz, but if there is a belt for the AC that is not a part of the other belt (or belts) it may be that one pulley is out of alignment and there is just a fraction of an inch that is causing the squeal.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
1,138 Posts
Considering the fact that there was no belt on it when you bought it, I would consider it likely that there may be an issue with either the compressor or the tensioner.

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
971 Posts
When the car is started cold, the belt squeals, but only if the AC is on.
I always push off my A/C button about a mile from my destination so some of the heat (A/C unit pulls/concentrates heat from the air) that has to be dumped has a chance to do so. As a result, I've never started my car with the A/C button pushed in/on. If you continually start it with the A/C off, then you don't have a problem ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts