Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forestor Automatic
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep getting a code saying the Air Intake Temperature is high. I bought a can of air/cleaner to try and clean any dust/debris off it in case that's the issue. However, I'm having a heck of a time identifying where this sensor actually is located in my engine bay and what the correct part number is for it.

Here's the problem... when I look air intake temperature sensor up I get two different parts in two different locations. One is cheap and it is supposedly sticking out of the air (intake) box. The other is $300+ and it's the MAF/MAP sensor which is usually on the throttle body or the big plastic intake tube that goes into the air box but I couldn't identify it on either.

When I called the local Subaru dealer's parts department and told him the name of it, he couldn't find it in his system but said he would think it's the sensor on top of the "spider" (manifold??) which is the MAF/MAP sensor and is $333+ tax and a special order item.

Anyone run into this for the 01-02 Foresters? Where is this part and what's the correct part number for it?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2002 Forestor Automatic
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could not find mine here : https://partsouq.com at least not as an independent sensor.
I take it it is integrated in the MAF?
Ok, if that's the case, where is the MAF? Like I said, I couldn't find it. And my concern is....because it's an older model...is this not a real popular problem and maybe everyone (including the dealer) is not identifying the correct sensor. While the car is worth maybe $2k being very optimistic, it's an otherwise perfectly running car with zero issues and I love it!! I'd hate to spend the $300+ only to be stuck with the wrong part and still be looking for the correct one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 Forestor Automatic
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that!! Very helpful!! Now what size O-Ring does that use so that I can replace it when checking?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2002 Forestor Automatic
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Annnnd.....I discovered a totally unexpected problem today!! The sensor is most likely fine. But my newly installed radiator needed between a quart and half-gallon of anti-freeze. This explains why the A/C hasn't been as cold and why the sensor may have been throwing a code. Problem is, I pressure tested the system a month or two ago and it was fine. Needed a new thermostat which I installed, but was fine otherwise. So now I have to chase the problem and find out where the anti-freeze is going.

Thanks

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,539 Posts
If you are losing coolant and it's not on the ground or someplace obvious, you probably have the dreaded head gasket leak. Check your oil as that's where it's likely ending up. When I last had coolant loss, it showed up when I sent an oil sample off to Blackstone labs. The oil sample came back with coolant showing up.

·
Registered
2002 Forestor Automatic
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But like I said, I pressure tested it and it's not that. It's also loosing somewhere around 1-3 ounces of coolant every week. No puddle either. I'm really baffled by this one.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Clearly there's no coolant in the oil? You'd notice that on account of the car not liking that much..
If it burned it, you'd notice it bellowing a bunch of white smoke..
Does the ATF (I'm assuming your car is AT or CVT) look normal? I'm thinking some sort of breach in the ATF cooler. You'd notice that too, I'd imagine: Coolant is not a good lubricant..

You could put some UV dye in the coolant and see if there's any evidence of it leaking out. I've used it several times on difficult to find leaks. Maybe it is happening while driving but not parked, who knows.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,539 Posts
But like I said, I pressure tested it and it's not that. It's also loosing somewhere around 1-3 ounces of coolant every week. No puddle either. I'm really baffled by this one.
Pressure testing will not tell you if it's leaking into the oil. 1-3 ounces is what I was losing when the head gaskets were leaking on my vehicle. The coolant did not show up in the exhaust either. I got 100% confirmation with oil sample.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
But with it leaking into the oil it turns into a brownish milkshake no?
That's what I've seen, yes.
One would imagine you'd notice that with an oil change. It doesn't disappear, I don't think. Over the 3-5K between oil change at 1-3 ounces being lost a week, it would make quite a milkshake.

bman400 has a good point with testing your oil to make sure, tho.

·
Registered
2002 Forestor Automatic
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not real sciency, but wouldn't a good way to test it be to put an oil or antifreeze sample into a clear container and then see if it separates since oil is oil based and antifreeze is water based?

Thanks

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,539 Posts
@emt1581 and @Remco, with respect to coolant turning the oil into a milky appearance, that will not always happens as it depends on the quantity of the coolant ending up in your oil. That did not happen with my Subaru. Oil appearance looked just fine. The symptoms I was experiencing was coolant and oil was leaking. Oil was leaking out the bottom of the engine.And then dripped onto the exhaust Y-Joint, from there it was getting burnt you could certainly smell it. Coolant probably was doing the same thing, but because it was in very small amounts, it was not really detected. I did know that coolant was disappearing because every 6-12 months I was needing to add about 1L of coolant. Near the end there it was becoming more often I needed to add, and also the amount I was adding was increasing. But the oil still looked fine near the end. I made the decision to have the head gasket repaired because my last oil sample to Blackstone showed a very marked increase in coolant in the oil. I suspect had I not sent the oil sample in, and kept on driving I probably would have started seeing milky appearance of oil. It really depends on how much coolant is in the oil.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
That's good to know, @bman400. I learned something new.

Edit: @emt1581, they sell test kits at part stores. You can also send your oil to services to get it analyzed.
Btw, regarding the other type of head gasket breach, part stores also sell these kits c("Block test") that check for exhaust gas in your coolant. You basically suck a small portion through a funnel looking device that contains this chemical. With an exhaust leak present, it turns a specific color (blue, I seem to remember).
Good thing to test for when you buy a used subie.

·
Registered
2002 Forestor Automatic
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So a little bit of a plot twist here....

When I run subaru's part number I get an OEM part that ranges in price from $180-$300+. However, I looked at the part today. It reads "Bosch 0261230013". When I look that up it says it's a Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP) and they're like $50.

I know that when comparing generic to name brand the prices and quality can vary a lot. But when calling it a different name the prices being to varied is new.

Thoughts??

Thanks!

·
Registered
2000 SF5 Automatic
446 Posts
I, too, have a Bosch MAP sensor.
Bosch is a very well respected German car parts manufacturer. Mine is a Jdm model 2000.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002 Forestor Automatic
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I got the sensor in the mail. When I removed the old sensor it looked like it was coated lightly with oil or some sort of moisture. Is that normal and to be expected with over 200k on the clock or is that indicative of another issue? I was debating whether I should just try wiping it off and putting the old one back in. But for ~$50....the new one ran fine for a minute or two without throwing a code so I'll let it be and see if it keeps up that way.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts