Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, kinda stumped on this one. My wife’s car, 2002 Subaru Forester 5MT with almost 300k, clutch done about 2k ago.

Yesterday she pulled into the driveway and parked her car after driving a half an hour. She left the car in first with the parking brake on when she left. After sitting for about 5 hours she went to start it. She says it started and ran for about 30 seconds in neutral with the parking brake on as she started clearing snow off and then it died. When she went to start it again in neutral, anytime she let the clutch out it died.

This morning I checked it out, in neutral when I let out the clutch the car actually starts to roll forward but I can’t take off in “neutral” without it stalling. When I try to put it in first it won’t roll forward when I ease the clutch out, same thing for reverse.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the joy of this experience. Could the shift linkage be so worn out that it isn’t going fully in and out of gear? I know the return spring is gone as there has been excessive play in the shifter for the past few months. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,643 Posts
Safety switch that cuts ignition when clutch is released. It's sounds like switch is faulty.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm gonna post my results because I hate it when I find years old threads or nobody says if and or how they fixed their problem.

The car was trying to roll forward in neutral and would move forward in second, third, fourth, and fifth but would stall out when the clutch was almost all the way out. Reverse wouldn't move at all. I could move the stick around and hear it click into other gears.

Anyways, I put the car into second gear and started rolling forward while slowly easing the clutch out until I started moving and then I rode the clutch. Basically the car wound up jolting to a stall and then all the sudden reverse was available, reverse was pretty tough and I basically had the same experience as before. Once I came to a stop I put the car into first and took off as normal. It must've been bound in first gear and finally broke free, hopefully without 'breaking' too much. The Mrs. must've popped the clutch when parking the car in first gear with the e-brake on without waiting for the engine to come to a complete stop.

Probably will do a fluid change and see if any chunks come draining out. Thanks bman400 for your reply, I hope this thread helps someone in the future if they're just as confused as I was.

I should also mention before I tried moving the car under its own power, I had the wife go through different gears and I rocked the car back and forth trying to get it to break free without beating up on the ol' Forester too much, seemed to help a little.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts