Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· Registered
2017 Limited w. eyesight
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 Subaru Forester need to change the windshield since the someone broke it. But the Subaru told me the windshiled is back order in the whole United States and I have to wait for 1 month and even the expedite need 2 weeks. That is ridiculous.

· Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
249 Posts
Try someone other than the dealer. I have a 2015 with Eyesight and had Safelite replace and calibrate. I payed out of pocket as it was well less than my $500 deductible. The dealer wanted about twice as much PLUS charge me for the calibration. YMMV

· Registered
'06 Forester LL Bean
173 Posts
Sometimes parts are back ordered, it's just the way it goes. Problems with quality control, manufacturing delays, or just an odd amount of demand can lead to shortages. I'd definitely be annoyed if I needed a part and I couldn't get it (been there many times), but it isn't the fault of the dealer or anyone in particular.

I'll second what @Firetrux said - go aftermarket. There's nothing special about OEM glass where it's going to diminish the value or quality of your car if you skip it and go with aftermarket.

· Registered
2017 Limited w. eyesight
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try someone other than the dealer. I have a 2015 with Eyesight and had Safelite replace and calibrate. I payed out of pocket as it was well less than my $500 deductible. The dealer wanted about twice as much PLUS charge me for the calibration. YMMV
I called safelite too. They told me with the eyesight or similar system, they usually suggest using an OEM windshield instead of an aftermarket. And they told me if I still want to send my car to them, I have to make notes that it must use an OEM windshield. That's why I think I still should send to the dealer.

· Registered
2017 Limited w. eyesight
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is not what Subaru states with their eyesight vehicles.

I think we've all seen how bad aftermarket glass can be with distortion...eyesight doesn't like that distortion.

Yeah, my PDA representative told me to use the OEM part not to use an aftermarket since I have the eyesight.

· Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
249 Posts
Mine IS OEM from Safelite. They specifically require it or so I was told (due to the Eyesite). They may have a warehouse with them as I had to wait 24 hours “to get one from their distribution center”

It very well may be that individual Safelite dealers/franchises have different prices, abilities and protocols...

· Registered
2017 FXT
71 Posts
They were on backorder last summer too for '17 and up Forester w Eyesight. I had to wait for 6 weeks for that one, I even got SoA involved and it didn't help. Now I'm on windshield number 4 (including the original) in 18 months on my '17. I never replaced a cracked windshield on any other vehicle up that point in my life of driving (about 36 years). My dealer doesn't do windshield installs, I used Safelite.

· Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
738 Posts
You could try 2016/2015 glass if you don't want to wait. It's not the same acoustic dampening glass as you had but it might be in stock...

· Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
543 Posts
When my first 17 XT developed a trans leak, I was told by subaru there were none available, they wouldnt even give me a time that they might be available ao after 90 days they gave me a new car outright, same everything.. a month doesnt seem too long to wait but if it takes longer than 90 days, demand they make you happy!

· Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
3,534 Posts
Looks like another reason to not get Eyesight...
As far as Safelight - They can install an OEM windshield, so what additional benefit is provided by the dealer ?
It sounds like Safelight can also do the calibration.
The dealer benefit seems pretty dubious when you can get the same glass for less expense at a service provider with a lot more experience, because that is ALL they do, and especially if they stock the parts.

So why is it that more recent Foresters are getting more frequent windshield cracks, or rather, ARE THEY?
I have never heard of anyone blaming a car manufacturer for getting windshield damage.
If a rock hits your glass it's going crack it.
Do people have ridiculous expectations about this or do late model Forester windshields just suddenly decide to crack on their own...

· Premium Member
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,548 Posts
More recent foresters are cracking more often because they changed the design in 2017 to add an insulated layer between thinner panes of glass. Acoustic glass chips and cracks easier...so the instances of a rock actually causing damage is higher. Wife works in insurance...this is common knowledge to them as they see claim volumes much higher on the models that have acoustic glass and are adjusting premiums accordingly.

· Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
3,534 Posts
"Acoustic glass chips and cracks easier" - It may be "common knowledge" but it is incredibly well hidden, as there is nothing out there on the web to indicate that is a fact.
The only information out there is anecdotal, such as what you provided.
That doesn't mean it is true, and the fact that people's windshields crack means just that.
They cracked.
Would a "standard" screen have cracked in the same situation?
It is easy to say that it wouldn't, but impossible to prove without testing.

I've replaced lots of windshields due to damage, but I've never owned an acoustic one.
I've seen big rocks do nothing and small rocks cause a break.
The projectile's hardness and density are as much or more important than it's size.

Many makes and models of cars use acoustic glass now, and it is very similar in construction to the laminated glass.
Both are a sandwich of glass "bread" with a layer of plastic in the middle.
The acoustic material is more expensive, but it is not a significant departure in construction.

For insurance expense, the fact that OEM glass must be used for Eyesight, and the acoustic glass is more expensive to replace would seem a lot more likely to be contributing factors.

As far as the glass being thinner and weaker - Do some research - Resistance to cracking is much more dependent of the glass composition and internal stress than in slight changes in thickness.

People with new vehicles tend to get full coverage, and newer models have acoustic glass.
That means people with newer models tend to make more claims.
That doesn't mean the same vehicle with different glass would't crack in the same situation.

I doubt your wife is adjusting insurance rates based on her experience.

· Registered
2017 FXT
71 Posts
After 3 broken ones, 1 of them taking 6 weeks to get, I was tired of replacing the windshield. I know I did what everyone says not to do and, with some reluctance of my own, installed an aftermarket windshield. Safelite said they could recalibrate it if needed so I said go ahead. The manufacturer indicates it is for Eyesight cars. The coding on the glass indicates it is made in Ohio at the Fayou plant there and it has the heated wiper landings just like the OEM. I can say the adaptive cruise, car ahead has moved warning and lane departure works as it always has. I've had the collision avoidance warning 3 times since I've owned the car, 2 times with the OEM part and 1 time with the AM part.

· Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Limit CVT
342 Posts
Happy I found this thread. Was going to start a new one to see if anyone has had the newer acoustic glass on older models, like my 14.
But, after reading this, I don't think I want to bother getting something more fragile in the hopes that it would help reduce some noise in the cabin.
I'm still on my original glass 4 years in now, and it's still not in need of replacement. It just reminded me to research this after another audible impact on the way home today. Have had many of those with only one causing a Crack.. And that one I was able to control with some scotch tape, which you should always carry, until safelite could repair it.
And while I'm sure windshield damage is very much about luck, after having a small shop replace our vans windshield almost once a year, I've found the windshield that safelite installed seems more durable as we've had many impacts and no cracks going on about three years.
Though regardless of quality, the right size rock would make all that irrelevant.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

· Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i MT
343 Posts
"hopes that it would help reduce some noise in the cabin"--

I test drove both a '16 and '17, made audio recordings, and the '17 was significantly quieter. Do not know what else is different besides the acoustic glass...

"control with some scotch tape"--

You got lucky. It was not the tape. Recommend buying one of those inexpensive crack repair kits that inject clear cement.

Also, most insurance companies will waive your deductible and cover those crack repair service outfits. The key is to get it fixed right away, before it spreads, or gets dirt in the crack.

· Registered
2017 FXT
71 Posts
"hopes that it would help reduce some noise in the cabin"--

I test drove both a '16 and '17, made audio recordings, and the '17 was significantly quieter. Do not know what else is different besides the acoustic glass...
Besides the glass there's a bunch of sound insulation on the '17 that the earlier models don't have. I didn't notice any difference in noise with the aftermarket glass vs the OEM glass.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts