Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester auto
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Forester with 2004 motor. You know the driill, new timing belt failed because I didn't know about hydralic tensioners. New to forum, greetings from Alaska. Dogged by CEL, cylinder misfire, usually #2. Been going on ever since I had the new/used motor put in over a year ago. I've had it to two different shops and always the same, code would get reset but the first time you put your foot into it and accelerated hard the CEL would come back. Checked hundreds of forum threads, here and other places.

To make a long story longer, I was pulling the plug wire off of cylinder #2 and there was no difference in the way the motor ran and no spark coming from the boot, nothing. So just to see for comparison what would happen, I pulled off #1 plug wire. On that side I had all kinds of spark, from the boot to the block like I expected, as well as sparks coming from a hole in the plug wire on top of the coil. When I pulled the plug wire off the coil I noticed that the terminal was green with corrision, weird I thought but whatever.

So then I switched #2 and #4 plug wires and that made no difference.

In the mean time I was reading from the northursalia site about how the ignition systems works, especially the part about the coil sending a spark to both plugs at the same time, meaning that #1 and #2 are tied together. So that made me wonder, if one side is corrided, what would happen?

So I cleaned the terminal up really good with some strips of emery cloth, wrapped some electrical tape around the hole on the #1 wire and put the thing together. Just like that, its fixed, no codes, no hesitation, runs like a champ. so simple I think.

I will have to replace the plugs wires one of these days,but other than that, I'll just drive it to see if it stays fixed.

thanks for all the information, great forum

·
Registered
2012 Forester2.5X Premium Auto
55 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2012 Forester with the engine misfire trouble codes P0302, P0303, P0304.
I started simple and did a voltage drop test, checking the ground wires on the engine. I found that the front of the engine block was 0.5 volts low, and the throttle body 1.4 volts low, so I added 2 new 6 guage ground wires for each that went straight back to the negative battery post.
I also removed the existing ground straps, cleaned them with a wire brush, and used a conductive carbon grease, then reinstalled. The trouble codes went away and now my Foz starts and idles better, and has a smoother, more responsive throttle and acceleration.
A cheap fix that works!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts