Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
06 forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so long story short i own a sg6 forester and its not my favorite year and it’s automatic , so pretty much makes me hate it. now with that being said i love lowered foresters and foresters in general. my friend has a good condo 2001 forester with a blown engine and a manual trans. i was wondering would i be able to pull my engine and swap it in without much of an hassle? i’m pulling it to do head gaskets regardless and figured if i have the engine out i might as well. i love 98-05 foresters the most so it would be wicked nice if i could. thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester
2,605 Posts
2001 does not have EGR, so you need to fix that. You'll need the ECU and harness from the 2006, and then make sure the 2006 ECU knows the is no 4EAT there vs the 5MT. No such thing as "not much hassle". It's basically a lot of mismatched stuff to compensate from generation to generation.

·
Registered
06 forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@bman400 i kind of figured i’d need the ecu and harness. how would i go about making sure the ecu knows the engine is now bolted up to the 5mt? flashing it? if that’s really all i’ll need to do and everything else is plug and play (just about) then it doesn’t seem as bad as i thought. so thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester
2,605 Posts
ECU is not flash capable. You'll need a wiring diagram of 2006 and figure out what kind of signal and fake them. I am hoping others who have done this will chime in.

·
Registered
06 forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@bman400 me too. but i’ve heard running an auto ecu on a manual trans won’t be too bad. i’ll have a code since my ecu will think i’m driving in park but other than that shouldn’t even be much of an issue

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester
2,605 Posts
@bman400 me too. but i’ve heard running an auto ecu on a manual trans won’t be too bad. i’ll have a code since my ecu will think i’m driving in park but other than that shouldn’t even be much of an issue
Maybe you can try GNDing a connection on the ECU so that it things it's in drive as soon as you start the vehicle?

·
Registered
06 forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2001 does not have EGR, so you need to fix that. You'll need the ECU and harness from the 2006, and then make sure the 2006 ECU knows the is no 4EAT there vs the 5MT. No such thing as "not much hassle". It's basically a lot of mismatched stuff to compensate from generation to generation.
back to ask you another question if you may have the answer. if i swap the complete wiring harness from the 06 to the 01 and plug the erg , would i have any other things to switch other than the obvious, i’m speaking as in terms of the engine since i was planning a manual swap in the past so i know to expect to change my engines flywheel and starter blah blah. if it’s as simple as switching the wiring harness and ecu over then i’m pretty damn sure i’m about to do it. let me know if you have any advice man!

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester
2,605 Posts
I am not familiar enough with the 2006 and the differences between the 5MT and 4EAT. But IMHO, you're not gaining anything switching to 5MT from the 4EAT, I consider the 4EAT a bullet-proof transmission. Why? I look at all the concerns here about clutches, slipping, noises, etc...Issues on here regarding the 4EAT are primarily because people here replace the stock AT Filter for no reason and replace it with non-OEM unit. My 2001 has 222,500 miles and still running the 4EAT, factory AT Filter. It's towed 3300lb trailer nearly 2000 miles, and lighter trailers as well. Never given me any issues.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester
2,605 Posts
The 2001 uses throttle cables. What does your 2006 use? Is it drive by wire or is it throttle cables?

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,001 Posts
06 is Drive By Wire, however you might be able to use your 01 Manifold, to get rid of the throttle and tumble valve issue.

There is a difference between Manual and Automatic water pumps so you might need to look into what the differences are and if that affects things.

You'll need to block off the Secondary Air Injection stuff too on the 06 heads. I wonder if the EGR are different?

Fuel pump might be different in the amount and/or pressures used?

Shame you're talking non turbos as the turbo ECUs are much easier to map etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts