Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I finally decided to break down and do a journal after being here for a couple years. Bought it with about 137k, second owner in November 2008. It was mint, until I got it and took it offroading and etc. It also stayed stock for about 1 year before I put a hitch on it, but it took 2 years to start with performance/appearance mods as I occasionally prowled this website. Then I signed up and a couple months later, I started modding it. Presently it has 255k+ on the clock.

Here it is a few days after buying it:

Currently:

I was planning on uploading more pics to show more of the progression, but my external hard drive isn't working at the moment. (May have to do with being it being started of on a pc, and now trying to be read on a Mac. If you guys have suggestions on what may help, let me know.) <--Turns out it's just very slow to load and register.

Anyways, on to the mods:

Engine/Exhaust:
-Custom Ram Air Intake
-2.5" inlet/outlet MagnaFlow muffler, 2.25" custom catback piping, (2) 12" glasspacks

Suspension:
-2002 WRX wagon take offs
-3/8" Paranoid Fabrication spacers

Body:
-Gorilla Mud Flaps

Wheels:
-2004/2005 XT model

Current Tires:
-Yokohama YK580 215/60R16

Previous Tires, in order of ownership (Rating & approx miles gotten from them):
-Pirelli P4s (Really good tires) 42k
-Kelly Explorer (Decent) 35k
-Continental ContiProContacts (Junk, but they were bought used; still hated them) 2-3k
-Michelin MXV4 Trial Run (Amazing!) 42k with more life left on them, nail damage forced early retirement.

Interior/Electronics:
-JVC Arsenal KD-AR770 head unit
-Lanzar Heritage HTG447 2000 watt amp
-Infinity 1062w 1100 watt subwoofer

Plastidip:
-Wheels
-Mirrors
-Wiper arms
-Grill

Miscellaneous:
-Draw-Tite tow hitch

To do:
-Window tint
-Go lower (maybe)

Pics showing progression, hopefully in chronological order for the most part:

New to me

First mod

First intake mod

Roof rails off

XT Wheels

Plastidipped mirrors

New intake setup

Lowered

Gorilla Flaps

Roof rails back on

Infinity sub

Plastidipped wheels

Plastidipped grill

Plastidipped rear bumper

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yeah, the wheels look awesome. Honestly the only thing i don't like about your year's Forester is the grill but if you like, it who cares? Great job!

Sent from my HTC Vision

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I love the wheels too. Unfortunately with my brake line failure, it ruined the plastidip on the rear driver's side wheel. So it looks back to stock for now, which means I'll be repainting it. Trying to decide if I should match it to the front or try another one of my crazy ideas for wheels.

As far as the grill goes, at first I didn't like it. But over time it has grown on me. I'm thinking of repainting the grill surround silver where the paint has chipped off and turned chrome to match the rest of the car and plastidip the grill part to continue on with my silver/black theme the wheels have accentuated. But I would leave the Subaru star logo visible to add a little contrast. (Wow, my headlights need re-polishing like majorly according to that pic!)

Any of you have thoughts on my grill and wheel ideas?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Ordered brake parts. Going to attempt this repair (rubber and hard lines) Wednesday when parts arrive. The rubber part is easy. Nervous about the hard lines.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Fixed my brakes and replaced the hardline. All you need is a hacksaw, pliers, a 12mm wrench, 8mm wrench, 3/8" wrench, and 7/16" flare nut wrench, also a bottle to catch excess brake fluid. Got a new 3/16" hardline and a compression fitting. Autozone compression fittings are ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. Had to make 2 trips (1 if I was smart) to get replacement ferrules for the compression fitting at the local hardware store. Bled the system and good as new now.

Now, I just need to replastidip my wheel and grill and I'll be a happy camper. And take toothpaste to my headlights. :banana:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Officially passed 256k today. Put in a new fuel filter. How good are my chances that it'll will take care of the surging and bogging sensation at partial throttle I just started experiencing?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
i see you took my suggestion on the wheels :)! look awesome man! im not sure on the fuel pump though if its internal or external. glad you finally got the journal going!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dill - Thanks! Your mods and journal makes me wanna do more to mine. Don't forget, I'll be seeing you in about a month if all goes well. Can we say quick photo shoot with our iPhones? Haha.

Fuel pump is external in the fact it is outside the tank. Internal in a sense because I have to take out the back seat, peel the carpet up, and open an access door. Any suggestions or tips that'll make this fix easier?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My fears were confirmed the other day: I bent the fuel gauge arm. It now reads 2.5 gallons to the pessimistic side. ... Cleaned my air filter today, after letting it go longer than I probably should.

My car still surges under acceleration. I hit the gas and it revs & gains speed, lags at ____rpm for a split second, surges a couple hundred rpms, lags, repeat. Feels like a turbo kicking in briefly or a shot of nitrous. Any ideas what it could be. Fuel pump, filter, and plugs are pretty new. Just cleaned the air filter, but have yet to try it out. Could the crazy amount of rain have anything to do with it? My car isn't as peppy during and slightly after rain storms.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You can try to check the MAF sensor. They get dirty with the time and this can affect the readings. You can clean it using an electronics spry cleaner (do not use any cloths and don't rub inside there). If you happen to have a friend with another forester, then swap the sensors and check if another one works.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts