Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow Foresters,

Perhaps some of you might be able to answer to burning questions I've been having about replacing the struts on my 2001 Forester.

I've been told by multiple mechanic shops that it's probably time for me to replace my struts on the Foz. It has 146K+ miles on it and they're OE, so I'm guessing that every shop isn't just trying to get me to spend more money. However, they're quotes are something like $1500 or so. I have friends that have done this work to their own car and I'm not completely incapable so I'm thinking screw it, I could do that for half the price.

After shopping around and reading a bunch of reviews, I went with a set of 4 new struts from KYB for a pretty decent price. Of course this just includes the strut and nothing else, so my first question is:

Is it necessary or ideal to replace all other components (springs, strut mounts, bellows etc.) at this point too?
My driveability isn't the worst, but I'm sure it's not great. I do have some slight uneven wear on my front tires, which I know can be caused by weakened springs. I can't really find other replacement springs from KYB, so I've found some MOOG springs and other replacements parts that seem like a good deal. Which leads me to my second question:

Is it ok to mix and match a bit so long as front left and right parts are the same, as well as rear left and right?
I thought about going with some quick strut assemblies to make my life easier and save money, but I really couldn't find any solid reviews on the quick struts that seemed reasonable, that really made me feel confident about what I'd be getting in the long run. Which leads me to my final question:

Are there any quick strut brands that ya'll recommend that are decently priced but retain the desired driveability or OE specs?
I wouldn't have a problem returning what I have it that's the case and just going with quick struts if anybody has got some words of advice.

Anyways, this was a pretty long post but I feel a little clueless right now, and I want to just be able to get this job done, learn a little something and have a nice riding vehicle afterwards (following the inevitable alignment job needed after something like this).

Cheers guys, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

馃敡馃敡

Registered
2001 Forester
I did the work on my 2001 a while back. You will not find any quick strut assemblies for the 2001, or at least I never found any. I never replaced the springs and there are not reason to replace the springs unless you are interested in changing the height, and spring rate, etc...I bought the KYB's and replaced the top hats, bellows. Not sure what you meant by mix and match....care to elaborate. Front go on front and rear on on rear.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I did the work on my 2001 a while back. You will not find any quick strut assemblies for the 2001, or at least I never found any. I never replaced the springs and there are not reason to replace the springs unless you are interested in changing the height, and spring rate, etc...I bought the KYB's and replaced the top hats, bellows. Not sure what you meant by mix and match....care to elaborate. Front go on front and rear on on rear.
Hey thanks for the response,
By mix and match I mean, brands for the different parts, KYB struts, Monroe strut mounts (which is the same as top hat?), and MOOG springs, that sort of thing. Also I have thought about raising the ride height at least an inch or so but I'm not entirely committed to that idea yet. Anyway, as far as top hats (which I'm assuming your mean strut mounts), did you also go with KYB or a different brand?

Thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a bunch for the info! I think that pretty much answers the questions I've had. Going to try and knock this out along with my rear brakes in a weekend as soon as I get all the parts I need. I appreciate the input (y)(y)

Cheers!

Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
Compressing the springs requires a special tool. And it's a pain to do. I'd go with new, complete struts. Monroe is an established name for suspension & steering components.

All 4 shipped for $452...
You can use code 15217896387006090 to get 5% off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts