Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 L auto
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found some oil in my spark plug tubes, but I know its not the grommets. I did the head gaskets about 10k ago and replaced them while I was at it. Could it be coming from the spark plugs themselves? They're new also, and I torqued them to spec, but there isn't oil anywhere other than the plug tubes so I don't know where else it could be coming from. If that is it how could that happen? How big of a problem is it?

·
Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
296 Posts
Its the grommets. There is no other place where oil could come from-definitely not the spark plugs. Maybe they were of poor quality or got pinched funny during install?

Eventually the leak will deteriorate the plug wires, may cause misfires, also leaks.

·
Registered
2001 L auto
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the parts were oem, and I'm not sure how they could've gotten pinched, I was really careful when installing everything. Looking in there, what I can see looking in from the top anyhow, the grommets themselves look clean, it's just the plug wires that have fluid on them. If it can't come from the plugs themselves and the grommets are the only other alternative, I wonder if I've just misidentified the fluid. I recently finished rebuilding a leaking powersteering pump and I suppose I could have just completely forgotten to clean some of the powersteering fluid. It seems weird is all, looking on the valve covers there isn't any wetness except for on the plug wire ends and running down beneath, not like a driping amount, just a seep. I guess I need to go back and re-smell it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts