Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Forester with an automatic... it had a squeal and a shop changes the belts and alternator. After I got it back it runs rough in drive. The car will die at stop lights in drive. The car shudders and all the lights come on in the dash. Sometimes when I accelerate the car feels like it is fighting me, shutters and won’t accelerate. When I put it in neutral the shuttering goes away and it seems to be fine. Any ideas would help me out. Thanks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Is Check Engine Light On? If yes, get the code to get some help.

If no CEL, I would look to idle air control valve (iacv) and throttle plate as likely problem. Unstable idle is caused by lack of air and too low idle. Start by cleaning iacv, throttle plate (both sides), and throttle bore w/ throttle body cleaner and small brush.

Also check PCV and PCV hose for open flow and valve function.

good luck

·
Registered
2001 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is Check Engine Light On? If yes, get the code to get some help.

If no CEL, I would look to idle air control valve (iacv) and throttle plate as likely problem. Unstable idle is caused by lack of air and too low idle. Start by cleaning iacv, throttle plate (both sides), and throttle bore w/ throttle body cleaner and small brush.

Also check PCV and PCV hose for open flow and valve function.

good luck

yes the check engine light is on. The shop says they think it is the O2 sensor. the tail pipe is black. Does this sound right? Thanks

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
yes the check engine light is on. The shop says they think it is the O2 sensor. the tail pipe is black. Does this sound right? Thanks
Get the code read at an auto parts store.
Can't help if we don't know the code it's throwing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts