Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 Forester bruke down about 2 years ago egen drifting a grassfield. I have tried fixing it with no luck. I bought a cheap OBD2 scanner to see if i could find some codes, but it was not able to connect to the ECU. I later tried an iCar OBD2 scanner with the same result. I can sometimes get the car to run on one sylinder om full throttle.
This is just a beater wich means i dont want to spendt alot to fix it.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,299 Posts
It may not have an OBD2 interface. It was not obligatory in certain countries. It only became mandatory in Europe in 2001 so assuming your 2001 was actually assembled in 2000 it might simply not work with your car.
You may have to do something like this to get the codes to flash

If you could track down a non US service manual it might help as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for such a fast answer!
I changed the timingbelt some weeks ago. When i did this the car started, but the revs kept rising and i had to shut it off. When i tried starting again it did not work. Any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,299 Posts
My first thought was a throttle body issue or need to do an idle relearn, but the fact it won't start has me at a loss.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The igniton wires look bad, but they create a spark at the plugs when i checked ut outside the engine. Im afraid it shorts to the block around the sparkplug. 3 igniton wires failung at the same time is to me wierd.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,299 Posts
I wish I had more expertise on the engine to help you, but it sounds like you know more than me about it. Guess you need to start with the basics-- gas, starter, battery...I hope you figure it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I replaced the belt because i thought the timing was off and it was, but noe that it's right nothing has really changed..

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
942 Posts
Reason I asked: If it had snapped during normal operation, it could be that the you ended up with bent valves.

How much was the timing off?

Did you do a compression test on all 4?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The timing was way off, but i think ut was part due to the fact that i struggeled alot to take it off and it jumped som teeth. I do not know how to do a compression test without special tools..

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5X 5MT & 2008 Impreza WRX 5MT & 2009 Impreza 2.5i 5MT
167 Posts
Seems like if it started the first time it should start again. I'm wondering if the valves may have been damaged.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts