Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester L 5-Speed Manual
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I got my 2001 Forester a year back and I decided that I would like to install this: KB-001-XT on my Forester. To my knowledge, neither the bushings or anything else has been replaced under the boot.

I have three questions:
1: How much of a difference would it realistically give (anyone have this installed with first hand experience?).
2: Would I need to replace my bushings? (because I would rather not considering it adds $45 to the price.)
3: How hard would it be to install?

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
32 Posts
@PyroShrek Kartboy claims a 40% reduction in shifter movement for this one. It does reduce the movement that much but it increases the effort required by the same amount. If you want the best possible shifter the bushings should be replaced. The bushings address the soft indistinct fell of the stock shifter. The price is that there is more transmission noise transmitted to the cabin. I have one in a WRX that is an identical setup. Installing just the shifter can be done from the top. Bushings require getting under the vehicle. I did mine on a new vehicle and it took 1.5 leisurely hours to install shifter and bushings. Your 18 year old one will probably take longer as you may have to deal with corroded fasteners on the bushings.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2001 Forester L 5-Speed Manual
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@PyroShrek Kartboy claims a 40% reduction in shifter movement for this one. It does reduce the movement that much but it increases the effort required by the same amount. If you want the best possible shifter the bushings should be replaced. The bushings address the soft indistinct fell of the stock shifter. The price is that there is more transmission noise transmitted to the cabin. I have one in a WRX that is an identical setup. Installing just the shifter can be done from the top. Bushings require getting under the vehicle. I did mine on a new vehicle and it took 1.5 leisurely hours to install shifter and bushings. Your 18 year old one will probably take longer as you may have to deal with corroded fasteners on the bushings.
Hope this helps.
Hey there! Havent checked this thread in a while but I ended up going with the shifter itself. The whole process of removing the trim and the shifter linkage was very easy up until I had to remove the rusted C-clip under the car which took about 3 hours of sweaty, miserable suffering. I installed the new shifter, used the old bushing, installed the linkage and tested it out. I can vouch for their claim of 40% without a single doubt in my mind because oh boy, does it fell nice. However, because the old bushings are still in place, there is still a small amount of play when in gear which I do not mind. Thanks for the kind words of advice!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts