Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just got a 2001 base model Forester and was wondering if the Karboy short shifter would fit my car? ScoobyTuner's order profile lists my car in the long list of applications, but it says XT, which I believe became available in 2002?

Thanks for any help. Glad I found this forum!

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
The "XT" shifter will fit (I have one), and it's about 40-45% throw reduction and ~1.5'' lower than stock (with KB rear stay; probably 0.5'' lower still with stock bushing). Or you can use one for Impreza - it will fit also and be even shorter - both in throw and height (a lot lower that parking brake engaged).

And in any case, buy a kit that includes front and rear stay bushings - you will be glad you did.

·
Registered
2001 L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks much for the answer.

What "stay" bushings are you referring to? I bought the urethane bushings at the mounting point with the shifter. Are the other bushings you are talking about at the front/next joint of that linkage arm?

Haven't pulled anything apart to look yet.

Thanks

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
What "stay" bushings are you referring to? I bought the urethane bushings at the mounting point with the shifter. Are the other bushings you are talking about at the front/next joint of that linkage arm?
What are you referring to as a "mounting point with the shifter"?

There are only four places with any sort of bushings there: the front stay, rear stay, shifter linkage to shifter rod, and linkage connection to trans. input. Most likely, you only need front and rear stay, as other bushings should be adequate (apparently, at some point Subaru switched to lower quality materials for those, so many later Impreza owners complain that those bushing get squished easily; on MY98, all of those bushings looked perfect after 10 years).

And to answer your question - the "stay" is the rod that the ball socket for the shifter is mounted on; that rod itself is mounted to transmission on the front end, and the body on the rear end. Hence front and rear stay bushings.

·
Registered
2001 L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm talking about the two small doughnut bushings that mount at the attachment point on the shifter. At the pivot point, so to speak.

Edit: Found the stay bushings on ScoobyTuner. I'll order them up.

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
I'm talking about the two small doughnut bushings that mount at the attachment point on the shifter. At the pivot point, so to speak.

Edit: Found the stay bushings on ScoobyTuner. I'll order them up.
Yep, pivot.... you probably do not need them, but those are relatively cheap (I thought only TiC made them?). As for the rest - get a full kit (two bushing (technically - threes, as front stay is two parts) and the shifter) - all authorized KB retailers (including Kartboy.com itself) sell them for a lower price than all components separately - and don't they still offer free shipping on KB parts as they used to?

·
Registered
2001 L
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the heads-up on shipping/cost! I'm really looking forward to getting rid of the mushy, vague feel it's got now.

I also ordered a braided stainless clutch hydraulic line between the master/slave cylinders so see if I can get the engagement point to move a little further up the peddle throw.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts