Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Legacy GT
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well once I got used to the new ride, I quickly decided to make the most of it and started getting some goodies installed.
About two days after my accident that resulted in the forester, I had a V1 on the way. This was installed the first nice day after I bought the Forester:

I was a little unmotivated to do much else initially, but seeing my antennas sitting in the closet and not doing anything about it, just isn't right. I ordered two Comet lip mounts. They're pretty sweet, they have 4 adjustable planes, great for hatches, and if I knew how adjustable they were, I would've had them on the Audi, instead of grasshopper antennas. I put the CB antenna on one, and a Laird multi-band antenna on the other. I'm going to use it for my GPS for now, and maybe down the road get another scanner. As it stands now, the GPS antenna is on the drivers side and the CB antenna on the passengers side. Here they are:

I also installed a Midland CB. It fit PERFECT in the old ashtray slot. The slot took minimal modification, but the CB doesn't even move:

I also got a garmin nuvi 755t, it was a time consuming hardwire, for a number of reasons, but well worth it:

- Four wheel disc conversion at 105,000 miles. EBC green stuff brake pads all around, slotted rotors up front and oem discs for the rear.
- Exedy clutch installed at 105,000 miles.
- wrx wagon suspension (and butt sag spacers) installed!
- removed roof rack. looks better imo.
- also got my rallitek O2 sensor spacer, but not installed..

Opinions? Suggestions?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
98 Posts
i really like ur cb idea and the hard wired GPS. I may have to do this in my foz now .... thanks for the pics. Did you follow any guides to hardwire the GPS?

·
Registered
2001 Legacy GT
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i really like ur cb idea and the hard wired GPS. I may have to do this in my foz now .... thanks for the pics. Did you follow any guides to hardwire the GPS?
I didn't follow any guides, just worked with what I've done in other cars. I try to keep everything looking clean and have as few wires showing as possible. If you're looking for any pointers or ideas that i've come across let me know.
I wire everything to the fuse box- NOTHING to the battery. Things like the GPS, that I don't want to cut the powercord to, I use the RadioShack powersources. The rest is all routing the wires.

·
Registered
2001 Legacy GT
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE

Just a little update:
Installed a new Exedy clutch and did a rear disc conversion on Saturday
(by installed I mean I tried to help my friend who is a Subaru mechanic install it for me)
It went relatively smooth, ebrake works fine, clutch grabs nicely, everything worked perfect.
So on my trip home from maine to NY,about half way back, my bearing goes. not the usual slowly getting louder. completely tore apart. I managed to take it very slow another 80-90 miles until the wheel was uncontrolably wobbling and a trooper made me get off the interstate.
I got it fixed on Monday, and now waiting for my new rotors to arrive (hopefully tomorrow) I have the EBC pads already, and I'm looking forward to putting them on asap. (in my driveway booo)

·
Registered
2001 Legacy GT
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Another update:
The brakes are all installed, excellent braking power, BUT the car DIVES forward under serious braking. I was back and forth about performing upgrades, but I found wrx wagon suspension, and couldn't resist. Ordered it all yesterday, haha- I never would've thought I'd have a forester project going!
Also, just got my Rallitek O2 spacer in the mail, soon to be installed.
On September 18th I'm going to be doing a drive with LtdSLIP.com, and I'll be the official "Chase vehicle" I'm hoping to have the suspension all installed by then. Subaruonlineparts is supposed to be providing me with some decals and all, and Trapster is providing car numbers and Trapster decals for the drivers.
I'm pretty hyped. Again, also never thought I'd be participating in a drive with a forester! I was planning to co-pilot my friends 335xi, but I'm excited to be driving the chase car.

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4EAT
733 Posts
sounds sick dude. ... but you can't roll up to a car event on stock rims... and if you get new rims than you have to get some summer tires... this is never going to stop.

:icon_wink:keep us posted!

·
Registered
2001 Legacy GT
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So after dealing with UPS misreading the address on the package, and holding it 2 counties away, I finally got my hands on the WRX wagon suspension. It all appears to be in very good, clean shape, and appears to be an easy swap. A lot went on on Wednesday, but I got the car up to see how the bolts felt- I sprayed down the bolts with some liquid wrench and hopefully it will help make the swap a little easier.

I took measurements to see clearance for some before and after comparisons. I'm curious to see if there is much difference.
I'm hoping there will be a noticeable difference in handling at least.

** oh, and if anyone has any tips, tricks or info on this swap- let me know!

·
Registered
2001 Legacy GT
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
-another bump in the road, my passengers side wheel bearing went, so had to get that installed.
-on the bright side...wrx suspension (and butt sag spacers/bumpers) installed.
unbelievable difference. such a great decision.

·
Registered
2001 Legacy GT
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Cliffs of Insanity 2010 Drive

Just a couple shots from the "Cliffs of Insanity" drive on Sunday.
A few companys sent the driving club i'm in some decals and brochures, thus all the decals.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts