Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

When I turn off the car and remove the key the the engine is fully off but the dash warning lights stay on. I didn't notice this when I jumped out the car the first time but when I go back in I noticed there was a faint burning smell.

The car still starts and drives fine but now the only way to turn off the car fully so it is not draining the battery is to take off a battery lead.

Any thoughts on what the issue could be?

Its a 2001 forester.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome!

All the lights that normally illuminate when you turn the key to on but haven't swung the engine as yet - oil light, ABS, check engine, e-brake and the digital odometer shows as well.

I'll take a photo in the morning.

cheers,

Marc.

·
Super Moderator
35,475 Posts
My quick guess... ignition switch or ignition relay?

Do you hear the ignition relay click when you turn the ignition key to RUN, before switching the key to START. If not, the relay may be stuck on.

If the ignition relay is stuck on, then your power windows would still be working.... have power.

Also, any change if you "jiggle" the key in the ignition switch?

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Photo attached of the dash lights with the key out.

I do hear a click when I switch to ON (Run) and I just realized the windows do have power going to them. Sounds like you're on to something!

When can I find the ignition relay, is it in the steering column area?

Marc.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,475 Posts
Keep in mind, the +12V to operate the ignition relay comes from the ignition switch. If the ignition relay is good, then you'll need to work backwards from there...
When you remove the ignition relay, try giving it a good wack to see if that corrects the problem. If so, the contacts were stuck... sticking & the wack knocked them loose. Of course the relay should still be replaced.

The wiring diagrams you need are attached to this post in another thread.

The ignition switch & ignition relay are on the page marked 13 in "Wiring Diagram_1". When you want to find the location... say the ignition relay, you look for the connector, which is B157.

On "Wiring Diagram_2", you scroll down to the page marked 78. there you can find connector B157. On the next page, marked 79, you can find where that connector is in the cabin.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize I’m late to the discussion, but I’m fighting the same thing. Replaced ignition switch and what I believe is the ignition relay, ( red harness connector and following the above wiring diagrams), but still have same issues.
Any other suggestions?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts