Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front ring and pinion got chewed up on our 2001 forester it's an automatic trans. I'm trying to decide what I should do to fix this, either get a used trans or new ring and pinion. I'm having trouble finding a ring and pinion gear set. Apparently the dealer will sell it for around $550 and I just think that is crazy. I really don't see anywhere else I could buy one. I see used transmissions for that price and cheaper. My issue with a used transmission is that I want to be 100% certain it will be compatible with my engine. I see a 2003 forester in the junk yard near me that I'm thinking about checking out but idk if it's compatible. How would one find this out? Another thought was brought up to me by a buddy he says just make it RWD you don't need a front diff (said jokingly) but in the back of my mind I'm scratching my chin like hmmmmm…:unsure: I'd rather have it all together but I'd like to hear some thoughts on that. So I guess my questions are where could I find a cheap ring and pinion for my car, how can I tell what transmissions would be compatible with my engine, and is it possible to go RWD with this transmission without causing issues? I need to do something so I figured id get some insight from someone smarter on the subject than I am. Can't really justify spending more than $500 on it cause its a cheap car. It's my mommas car and might be time for something newer. But it has been a very reliable car until now.

Thanks for your time,
CapinOlson

IMG_3018.PNG IMG_3006.jpg IMG_3007.jpg IMG_3008.jpg IMG_3013.jpg IMG_3014.jpg IMG_3017.jpg

Attachments

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
I think if you(only) assume the RnP is bad you will be sorry later on when the spiders make noise or seals leak.

JY's are pretty savvy on swapabilty between years.

I would quiz a few and see about availability of a trans/diff assy that fits , any guarantee they may offer., then report back with your findings to compare board rec's with the JY.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
687 Posts
I think if you(only) assume the RnP is bad you will be sorry later on when the spiders make noise or seals leak.

JY's are pretty savvy on swapabilty between years.

I would quiz a few and see about availability of a trans/diff assy that fits , any guarantee they may offer., then report back with your findings to compare board rec's with the JY.
Yikes! That is the wort I've ever seen. If you don't replace the whole transmission, be sure to find and correct the root cause.

GD

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the replies. Didn't really take that in to consideration. I was thinking low fluid or poor diff maintenance (probably never changed diff fluid). I am going to look at that 03 jy forester sometime soon. Also I am in Houston I bet there's a few around here.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
222 Posts
I would sell or trade the vehicle As-is. Investing money in trying to fix it without a clearly understood endpoint is high risk and could be a very expensive experiment!
Buying another older Forester in great shape is a better outcome!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
1,322 Posts
I would sell or trade the vehicle As-is. Investing money in trying to fix it without a clearly understood endpoint is high risk and could be a very expensive experiment!
Buying another older Forester in great shape is a better outcome!
No offense, but I disagree (mostly):
1. The owner knows how to work on Subarus - see pics.
2. Replacing a transmission is not cheap - $400-$700 around here - but your labor is 'free' (time is not).
3. The 4EAT trans is usually a reliable trans. More so than even the manual trans, from what I've read. Another used one is a safe bet (but I'd not buy one sitting on the shelf too long - Because: Seals).
4. And my main reason? You already KNOW your (momma's) car's history. Starting over w/another USED/non-warranty vehicle is always a gamble.

Keep it, fix it, drive it.

Caveat? It's a 'cheap car' per owner's admission. $500 or less to fix is usually worth it. But if it's got other issues, then, yeah...dump it. :)

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
222 Posts
No offense, but I disagree (mostly):
1. The owner knows how to work on Subarus - see pics.

I am not offended! But, let us not forget the author of the post asked for opinions on what to do! Maybe in this case the author lucks out and pulls off an affordable fix (I am sure pulling for him to succeed)! Say on a later date another owner is in the transmission what would you do bind? They find this post with opinions here that might help him or her decide what their solution path will be!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts