Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The transfer case is shot on my 2001 Forester. Which transmissions are compatible with mine? I think I remember reading that they were the same from 99-02, but I can't find that document. A friend of mine has an 02 in his salvage yard. Will that work?

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,784 Posts
Auto?
Manual?
It's not really a transfer case in either situation.

More info will get you a better answer and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,420 Posts
The transfer case is shot on my 2001 Forester. Which transmissions are compatible with mine? I think I remember reading that they were the same from 99-02, but I can't find that document. A friend of mine has an 02 in his salvage yard. Will that work?
What are the symptoms? If its always locked front/rear, its your transfer duty solenoid. Common problem on automatics.

Give us more info to help you out. Welcome aboard

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,784 Posts
Can be fixed,probably no need for a whole new trans.
More info on what it's doing please.

Much help here,you've come to the right place.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is an awful grinding noise when the car is in gear. It gets faster and louder as speed increases. Shift into neutral and the noose disappears. Rev the engine in neutral: still no
noise. Rules out engine or suspension problem. Mechanic suspects one of the teeth is missing in the "transfer case."

·
Registered
2001 Forester manual
2 Posts
Not sure if this is the right thread or not. I have an 01 forester with a manual transmission. The first "U-joint" behind the transmission/transfer case 'sploded wrecking havoc on the heat shield, drive shaft, shift linkage, and the "stub" out of the end of the transfer case/transmission. Does anyone know if I can just replace the end cover or if can weld the stub back? I appears to hold the bearing/seal in a dust cover but doesn't seem to serve a structural or operation purpose that would require high strenght. Am I correct in my assumption?

·
Registered
2000 forester l auto
8 Posts
I think the mechanic means one tooth missing on the ring or pinion gear in the final drive. I have the same problem on my 2000. As of now it just knocks under light load conditions. I read alot of people saying 99 to 01 interchange, and many say 99 and newer. I'm researching it, I need a explaination of the meanings of the numbers on the the front of the transmission.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts