Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 FORESTER L 5 Speed
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I just picked up a 2001 Forester L 5 SPEED WITH 124000 miles from original owner elderly man. He changed oil frequently. He recently had clutch done.Valve cover gaskets.. Car is really really clean.
I saw some old oil under car and i gunked it down and noticed a tiny bit of antifreeze but it was coming from bottom of timing belt cover. I am thinking the mechanic just cjhanged the timing belt and not water pump or did a bad job installing new water pump. To check I might as well change both to be sure.. I am assuming HEADGASKET will be going since that has not been done. I am using Mobil 1 5w30..Subaru antifreeze...Are there any cars that the headgaskets dont go or its guaranteed to happen? I also hear a ticking noise when I give car gas on HWY. Its coming from drivers side>> I think it could be exhaust leak. I looked under car and heat shields are slightly loose so I am wondering if they are causing buzzing. I cant tell if ticking is exhaust or engine???? Any input appreciated. Should I use a Thicker oil??? Thanks in advance Can I get 100000 more miles out of this car>> I drive 25000 a year so 4 years and I would be happy>>>>

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have a 99 Forester w/ recent head gasket repair (looks good so far). I have small oil leaks from oil pan and from driver's side camshaft seal (replaced at HG repair).

Thicker oil won't help leaks as most leakage occurs while you're running or after stopping w/ hot, thin oil. Tighten oil pan bolts to spec (careful spec is usually < 10 ft-lbs!).

Be sure to replace coolant and add Subaru conditioner as this seems to help by all accounts to get max life from original HG. I'm also using w/ my new HGs.

Check heat shields, exhaust manifold nuts, and Y-pipe to converter bolts for security. I had bolts loosen on Y-pipe-converter after converter replacement (may have never been adequately tight?) and produce an exhaust leak.

good luck

·
Registered
2001 FORESTER L 5 Speed
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I have 124000 miles. Can I get 224000 out of it.. I have some subaru additive. I dont know if previous owner added some. Is it safe to add if he did? If so I will add it in the am..

·
Registered
377 Posts
I got 215K miles on my first set of head gaskets. No reason not to expect at least 100K as long as system is not allowed to overheat.

good luck

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The 01 doesn't have quite the headgasket issues that the 98 dohc motor did, but they're still a bit more common than it should be. It may or may not go before 200,000, theres really no way to know.

Are you sure the timing belt was ever done?

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Premium 4EAT
104 Posts
The "ticking" noise on the highway is just a subaru noise. I had it in my Legacys and now in my '02 Forester S. I notice it more when I'm driving next to a concrete divider with my windows open. Not sure if it's just the boxer layout or thin exhaust headers, but even with no leaks mine have always had a tinny, ticking sound up front (the 80's GL's were much louder!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts