1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...so i have a 2001 forester L
keep in mind that it has 336k miles...:bling:

now it got into a slight accident...had to replace some parts...the oil spicket that the oil filter and cooler attatches to broke off...so i got that from the dealer...screwed everything on tite with new O-rings....the top pieces on the radiator that bolts on to the radiator support broke off from the original radiator...so i replaced the whole radiator with one from the junkyard off of a 2001 with 46k miles...no leaks..or blocks...i said since i had all the coolant out..id replace the thermostat...got one from subaru with the little release valve...filled up the coolant...bled the system...everything worked great....
now recently ive seen that on highway speeds the temp is fine...only wen im stuck in traffic the temp raises gradually...but only on days where the outside temp is like 72+ degrees F....so i wud turn the car off for a while...let the fans cool it down and start driving again....same thing wud happen after a while....now both fans work...the radiator gets to normal temp...top hose is pressurized normally with hot temps...as are the lower hose....i really dont kno what else it could be...waterpump?...but there wuddnt be any coolant flow right?...im clueless!?!?!:confused:

·
Registered
1999 Forester
57 Posts
Try disabling the thermostat and having run on open all the times. Also try using some water wetter and distilled water. Leave the car on for a while with the radiator cap off just to make sure the air is gone.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you losing coolant?
nope
not losing coolant..
no bubbles...
no oil residue
no coolant residue in the oil...
no smoke...
i just dont get it...
only wen the outside temp is hott...
and the system has been bled 2 times...properly!

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
T stat installed incorrectly? Blockage in the oil cooler at the filter? Main fan not coming on normally (do both fans turn on when the AC is on?) Possible stubborn air pocket in the system? Clog in the heater core?

What kind of coolant are you using and have you ever used the coolant conditioner or any other cooling system repair?

Its possible the used radiator had a leak and the previous owner had put a stopleak in it which has gummed up too much of it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts