Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester X 6spd
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Forester Auto 140k
Drove to work, came outside and it wouldn't start, all dash lights/CEL are on, cranks slow, tested the battery and it tests good and have 10 codes:
P0500
P1540
P1590
P1591
P1518
P0512
P0136
P0328
P0340
P0037
Checked all fluids and the basics...... ECU? The wire harness looks good and had no burnt electronics smell. Yes, there's gas in it. :)

Any help is appreciated!
TIA

·
Registered
2014 Forester X 6spd
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like ECU is messed up or you got some sort of voltage issue.
TY

Since it was so weird and sudden I too thought it may be a bad battery. Took it out and had it tested and it tested good.
Wire harness looks good.
I'm leaning towards ECU. I've just never experienced a ECU failure... I've had batteries fail and give me issues and fuel pumps fail and other sensors go out.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,868 Posts
TY

Since it was so weird and sudden I too thought it may be a bad battery. Took it out and had it tested and it tested good.
Wire harness looks good.
I'm leaning towards ECU. I've just never experienced a ECU failure... I've had batteries fail and give me issues and fuel pumps fail and other sensors go out.
Yah, in my 40 years of owning and maintaining cars. I have only had 1 ECU failure, and that was back in the days, ie 1980's. Can't remember which vehicle it was. Probably a vehicle from one of the big 3 (Ford, GM or Chrysler). Short of fire, most ECU are essentially sealed units and impervious to moisture. The only thing that kills them would be heat or some crazy voltage spike from the electrical system. But even then ECU usually have some sort "protection" from voltage spikes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts