Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Early in the spring, both of my heated seats stopped working at the same time. I didn't pay much attention to it because I thought that it was just the fuse. Yesterday, I checked the fuse and it was still good, and I changed it anyway but they still don't work. I phoned the Subaru dealer and they think that it's the elements in both of them, but I have a hard time believing that since they both went at the same time.

Is there a relay assotiated with the seats in the main fuse box in the engine compartment? If so, which one is it, or dose anyone have a schematic of the wiring for the seats that they can forward to me or any other suggestions?

Help!!!!! It's -20C today!!!!!

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
If you are certain fuse 4 and 19 are BOTH good, then you may have a defective relay, or broken/loose wire.

Before I go further, was any work done in the console area, sometimes, the switches are not plugged back in. Easy mistake.

Another question, does your REAR accessory outlet work? I'm asking because it uses the same fuses AND relay.

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm suspecting that it could be the relay. The question is which one is it that I should check? Rear accessories I'm not sure on and have to check that too. I really need to get a schematic of the wiring so that I can double check that all out. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also....did some work in the console area in the spring, but plugged everything back in. Double checked that the other day when I pulled the console to check that out to make sure.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
That relay is among MANY just above the inside hood release. The relays should be facing the rear of the car ( where your left knee is when seated ). There are a few stacks of 3 relays. But the one your interested in has a Blue Plug on the top, Red Plug in the center AND White Plug on the bottom one. That bottom one is the Seat Heater / Rear Accessory Outlet relay.

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update.....I took it into the Subaru dealer today and they did an electrical diagnostic to troubleshoot the seat heater problem. They said that the relay was fine, and power was going to the switches. What I don't know is why the switches won't light up if there is power to them. Somewhere in between the element and switch would seem to be where the problem lies. Remember that both seats went at the same time which I find odd that it's not the fuses or relay. Is there another fuse somewhere, or could both elements go at the same time? They wanted $400/ seat to fix the elements, and I didn't have a spare arm and a leg to give them.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
1 Posts
Hey any luck fixing this? I have the exact same problem it seems...no heat and no light in the switches. The fuses are fine and the switches are plugged in. Let me know if you got this resolved and how...thanks!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
13 Posts
04 FXT

I have a similar problem in my 2004 FXT.

The passenger heater works fine, hi and low.

The driver heater works intermittently, meaning the switch light is on, but sometimes the seat gets hot and sometimes it doesn't. The switches are also kind of "gummy". Not a real good "click" when engaged. I'm thinking because of the position so near the cup holders, perhaps some Coke got in there or something.

I'm going to try to simply replace the switches myself. You might give that a try. I assume they're fairly cheap...

·
Registered
2004 forester
1 Posts
Three months ago I bought my Forester, 04 with 30,000 miles. My old car was shot and I was sad but my husband said I would be so happy with this car and I would finally have heated seats. Well, my passenger has a heated seat and my seat, of course, has quit. I see here I am not alone. :-( The passenger seat works fine. Both switches seem to work and both are lit up. The driver seat seemed to work on low but never on high and now, not at all.
I have no spare bucks, well, no bucks at all for a warm butt.
I can fix lots of things but I am not understanding how to trouble shoot this problem. Any help would be very much appreciated.

This is my first post and cry for help so please excuse any mistakes I might make on posting.

·
Registered
06 Forester
115 Posts
I'm also experiencing problem with my driver's heated seat. Both switches for both seats light up but only the passenger works. Driver's heater does not work on HI nor LO.

Which fuses are #4 & #19 i searched in both fuse boxes but could not find any for heated seats and they are not numbered as far as I can see.

Also, under the seat there is about 6 connectors some yellow, some blue and some white and i'm unsure which one is for the heater.

This is for 2006 Forester with power seat.

·
Registered
1998 Forester 5 speed manual
14 Posts
Sorry to grave dig this thread, But I am also experiencing this same problem.

My passenger seat works wonderfully on Hi and Lo settings, but my drivers seat does not work and has no illumination of the light, was told that it was possible unplugged, But from what I can tell when I checked all the connections under seat and under switch, they looked solid and fully attached.

ANY extra help aside from what is in here is GREATLY appreciated!

:banana:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts