Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 FORESTER L 5 Speed
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I found a 2001 Forester L 5 SPEED with 124000 miles. The car is from Original owner who is on his 3rd Subaru. The car has a few issues and I will list them as well as a few questions.

1. Overhead clock does not work. Is it bulb?
2. Odometer light is out. Only half. I am assuming thts a bulb and if so how much is involved in removing cluster and what bulb?
3. He had timing belt water pump done and he said he had clutch and transmission replaced. When I start car it sound funny. I am pretty good with cars and cant tell if its starter or flywheel??? It starts fine just sounds funny. Once car is on its fine.
4. He had valve cover gaskets done due to oil leak.

Oil was changed regularly. I just want to get 100000 miles out of it. I have seen Foresters well over 200000 miles so thats why I got it. AWD is very good. Any comments appreciated.. Its nice to be back.....

ps I had a 2004 xs that I sold and missed my Forester so I am back...

·
Registered
99 Forester
205 Posts
There's a solder repair that will probably fix the clock. I did it on my 99 and it's been working well ever since.

The starter motor on may sound different than your 04, I think maybe there was a change at some point.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
Do a search on here for 'clock' and it should tell you how to fix it. Anyone who can use a soldering iron can fix it.

Probably a bulb, but I've never pulled a cluster on one of these so can't tell you if it's difficult or not. Most likely not, once you find out how it comes apart.

Can't say on the starter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts