• Not a chance.

Votes: 6 100.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting a Subaru and plan on buying one... that I can afford. I am looking at a 2001 Forester L with 133k miles for 5900.oo not that I will pay that price. I looked at it and the rotors are rusted in the back and look like the back brakes hardly touch if any. The sales person said the brakes are not very strong anf I am sure that is why. It also has rust on the rear fender rail and came from New York. I have heard the NY cars tend to show more rust because of the snow and salt. While I was looking at it the car shut off and they found the altinator was bad and replaced. I have not drove it because I am still thinking about it but would the long time Subaru people think I could buy this and it not cost me a arm and a leg. Would without seeing or driving it feel a 2001 with 133k be worth the price and be a reliable car. It says limited slip rear axle...do they all have that or newer ones alittle differnt. My Dad has a 2010 Impreza wagon and loves it. So whats your thoughts on the Forester?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Stay away. That's not a great price, even if they come down 10% or so. You will find that you will have to replace lots of parts underneath. When a bearing goes out, you'll need a knuckle, rotor, bolts, ect. Ask me how I know. Find a local car if possible. It may not be in any better shape, but it will be cheaper to repair.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
Not a great price even if it were decent, and I'd avoid the NY state version like the plague. You can do better. Keep shopping.

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
158 Posts
Dude I literally just bought a Forester L, with 136,000 miles and I got it for 4500 and it was MINT. Not body damage or anything, owned by an older couple.

Try and talk down the price, and if they aren't willing to negotiate walk away.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I think I will hold out for another one. Is the bearing issues something with the older ones or are people buying 09 and so on going to face that part of owning a Subaru.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
Salt destroys cars, believe me, I live in NY's salt belt. That forester sounds like it has many aging issues because of salt. Wait for a better deal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts