Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this site as I'm planning to buy myself a new Forester XT(maybe tomorrow) and I have a question for you on my Mom's car, a 2001 Subaru Forester, but we do not know if it an "L" or and "S" model.

My moms car comes up as a "L" when you pull up the Vin at the dealer and on carfax.com, but, it has lots of "S" stuff. It has 4-wheel disc brakes, 16" aluminum wheels, 6-disc in dash cd player, heated seats and the cloth interior is different than my freind's 01 Forester L. There is no badge on the car, it appears it had been in an accident at one point and the badge was not reinstalled. The car has the bumpers and side skirts/lower door panels that are the dark grey in color, they are not painted gold or grey like all the other "S" ones i have seen. Any idea's? We did buy this car used and I guess its possible that it is some frankenstein that some bodyshop put together(although it does not seem that way to me, it is a very nice, clean car).

Thanks!

Jeff B.

·
Premium Member
? ? ?
692 Posts
?Sounds like...

It should be an S...rear disc brakes were not a option and were only available on the S models. Check to see if the outside mirrors and front windshield are heated. If so, it's an S model.

Also, call Subaru's 1-800 number or try the website: my.subaru.com

Michael

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, its got heated windshield and mirrors, but even on My Subaru.com its comes up as an "L"

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Sounds like it has alot of features..

but if the plastic is not painted, then its an L

Pictures would probally help..

I have thought of putting on S alloys on my car, upgrading the brakes, and dropping in a 6 cd in-dash changer..

Why are you inquiring?

Just one of those things you want to know, or are you planning on selling the car

It sounds like all the stuff described could be added to an L

Actually.. It does begin to sound more like an S...

Forester L ($20,295) comes with a high level of standard equipment, including ABS, air conditioning, power windows, power locks, cruise control, digital temp gauge, multi-reflector halogen headlights, fog lights, roof rack, rear window defogger, trailer harness connector, reclining front bucket seats with adjustable lumbar support, tilt steering, tinted glass, AM/FM/cassette stereo with its antenna laminated in the left-rear quarter window, and last but not least, 24-hour roadside assistance. Notably new in 2001 are the three-point seatbelts for all five seating positions, including force limiters in front and height-adjustable shoulder belt anchors for front and rear outboard positions, plus rear seat headrests for all three seating positions.

Forester S ($22,895) adds a viscous limited-slip differential, rear disc brakes, 16 x 6.5-inch alloy wheels with 215/60R16 tires (the L uses 15 x 6-inch steel wheels), upgraded moquette upholstery, heated front seats with net storage pockets in back, dual vanity mirrors, heated sideview mirrors and keyless entry. New equipment for 2001 includes Titanium pearl paint for the bumpers and cladding; 6-disc in-dash CD sound system; leather-wrapped steering wheel, shift knob and handbrake handle; variable intermittent wipers with de-icers and driver's side fin; and the five-spoke alloy wheels. Our test model was equipped with the $1000 optional premium package on the Forester S, including monotone paint (Sedona Red Pearl), power moonroof, front side-impact airbags, and gold accent wheels. Other options were the $800 automatic transmission, $39 chrome tailpipe cover and $183 auto dimming rearview mirror with compass, bringing the sticker price to $25,412 including $495 delivery.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
The VIN number says it all.....The rest of what you described can be added by the previous owner(s).
Albeit, for them to buy a 2001 S new would have been cheaper than to add all those options. I helped a buddy put a rear LSD into his 2002 L as well as rear disks and heated seats, so I am certain it can all be added. BUT the VIN remains that of an L when it was manufactured.

·
formerly known as Benrock05201
2012 GMC 2500 HD Automatic
2,225 Posts
Make sure ALL the VIN plates match each other. Maybe the dash got switched in the wreck but that VIN plate didn't get changed.

Ben

1 - 6 of 6 Posts