Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S Premium
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Im planning a light upgrade project for my foz.

Just purchased a second set of headlights for this so here is the plan:

Infiniti FX Bi-Xenon Projectors

OEM Sti Philips 4300k bulbs

Aftermarket Ballasts and wiring.

BMW shrouds

Plan is to black out the new headlight reflectors along with the reflector in the side markers. My car is SRP so with the grille and the lights being blacked out i thinks its gonna look awesome.

Any ideas or concerns for this project?

Anyone done this before on an SF?

I've done a set on my 04 wrx and they came out great, cant wait for the awesome light output and cutoff.

Cheers,

Paul

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
6,091 Posts
So glad to see someone doing this the right way. Drives me up a wall when people stick HID "kits" in standard reflector housings.
Excited to see how this turns out, don't think I've seen anyone try this on a SF.

·
Registered
2001 S Premium
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will post up pics, by the end of the month i should have it done. My friend who does retros for a living will be helping me as i dont have alot of time to do them plus i dont want to screw up a pair of brand new headlights.

If you like what you see contact him, here is his website to look at his projects:

BlackFlameCustoms : HID Retrofits, LED lighting and Detailed Paint Applications

Hes a recomended vendor on LISC and does alot of work for our club.

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,205 Posts
So glad to see someone doing this the right way. Drives me up a wall when people stick HID "kits" in standard reflector housings.
Excited to see how this turns out, don't think I've seen anyone try this on a SF.
should be very similar to the sg i would think since they are both single bulb for hi/low

·
Registered
2001 S Premium
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, but the lens is clear plastic in the SG, and the SF has the glass (I think) textured surface.

Actually the old body SF's do have glass 98-00, but the 01-02's do not, they are clear plastic ;-)

Cant wait, my headlights will arrive on monday and they are going off to JB at Blackflame right away, ill take before and after pics as well so you guys know what your in for should you choose to go this route.

·
Registered
2001 S Premium
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hey guys,

As I said previously i usually do everything myself. For this project I decided not to considering i bought brand new aftermarket headlights and i didnt feel like screwing them up and throwing them away.

Parts:

Brand new pair of headlights I bought off of amazon for $150 shipped to my door, and suprisingly they came with brand new bulbs installed(There was Protective wrapping on the outer lens when they were shipped, please ignore this in some of the photos):

-Leftover scratched up E46 BMW projector shrouds(perfect for me since im going all black anyway):

-04-05 STI Headlight bulbs (got them cheap. even though they arent made for projectors a quick notch to the mouthing base allows them to be easily used in the FX-R Projectors):

-Ballasts i bought for my last retrofit that i ended up not using (knock off Hella's I believe):

Before Headlight shots and light output shot:

You can buy all new stuff, i'm just choosing to work from what i had.

JB from Blackflame is supplying the FX-R Projectors

The FX-R's are OEM Infiniti FX Projector replicas and alot easier to get then the most likely stolen ones on ebay plus they are made with retrofitting in mind. The same people that make the FX-R's also make lots of replica projectors/shrouds from a variety of cars which are common use among retrofit projects, and they are much more cost efficient then oem stuff.

JB will also be supplying me the relay harness which makes it much easier to retro BI xenon's since you need projector light-cutoff solenoid control and you dont want the ballast/bulb to turn off. If you dont get a harness its a pain, its not worth trying to make one yourself since it is relatively inexpensive.

They are almost done im told and i should have them for the weekend, Wish me luck!:Banane29:

P.S. If you guys like what you see, JB does this proffesionally, he really puts alot of time and effort into them. IF you want to get in touch with him for a set, email him through BlackFlameCustoms : HID Retrofits, LED lighting and Detailed Paint Applications and just mention Fischbeef sent you. He will take care of you.

Thanks again for looking!

Paul

·
Registered
2001 S Premium
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so i rushed afterwork to pick them up and finally got them installed.

I am ecstatic about the look and light output. Exactly what i wanted and more...

One little issue was my turn signal housing... They are sealed beam and dont bake apart like the headlights, my plan is to get them tinted with dark rockblocker because they stand out like a sore thumb with my blacked out theme as they sit.

here are some pics, more to come from JB tomorrow.

Enjoy!!!!!

Off how they look:

On:

Low beam:

High beam:

Let me know what you think

Cheers,

Paul

·
Registered
2001 S Premium
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
not at all, its actually perfect for these housings, will take installed pics afterwork, it was too dark last night

1 - 20 of 43 Posts