Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru mt5
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow owners. I just picked up a 01. 2.5l. But the manual transmission is destroyed. What would be the best choice if any. put a used stock transmission in? is there an upgraded choice from another model?

Also. What will swap over for suspension? Id like to get the stance down. fro what i have read so far. WRX suspension will fit. but whats the best choice for the wagon. I have herd when you lower it. the back seems to sag. I would perfer that not to happen

Thanks for any help

Nick

·
Registered
'17 XT Premium
164 Posts
Hey dude, sorry to hear about the tranny.

Far as I know, you can grab another one from the wreckers of the same spec as yours a bolt it straight up, but it is a bit of a hassle on a driveway, a car lift is ideal.

I'm not sure about upgraded ones, guess you could get an STi variant?

I've been puzzling the suspension one too, apparently Bilstein's shocks from legacys are good for height loss but no sag, but by and large, for a drop of about 1", I think most people use Swift Springs.

Saggy butt= no fun, don't bother with WRX suspension unless you plan on some different springs I guess.

All the best :D

·
Registered
2001 Subaru mt5
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the foz for only 900 cdn. so its a great deal in my books. Thanks

Nick

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS 4EAT (sob)
431 Posts
We got our Foz for $1800, and the clutch was screeewed. So I totally can see what you're saying about the whole good deal thing. :biggrin:

But whenever my dad looks for parts, he often goes to the scrapyard or calls local junkyards/used part sales places to find cheap parts. Don't drop thousands of dollars on a transmission for that car if you don't have to, haha. Like NZ said, if you can pick one up used from a scrapyard, that's ideal. (And some will let you take parts out of cars for a small fee, or even free!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts