Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester EJ251
92 Posts
If your car is a manual gearbox there is an easy way to reverse bleed the brake system or vice versa.

First bleed the clutch system so it is full of clean fluid.

Attach a length of tube from the clutch slave valve to the closest brake bleed valve.

Open both bleed valves.

Pump the clutch pedal until bubbles stop rising into the brake reservoir. This will fill the brake master and drive out any air.

Then proceed to bleed the brakes as the above post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also, never start the vehicle while bleeding the brakes. I learned this the hard way on one of my Outbacks after a caliper swap. The ABS pump cycled and moved the air from that one line throughout the entire braking system. It took a whole afternoon to get the air out.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
129 Posts
Yesterday I replaced my rotors, pads, calipers, master cylinder and brake booster on my 2001 forester and today I bled the brakes 3 times total but no matter how much I did the brakes are still not working and the pedal goes to the floor. could this be a brake booster adjustment problem or do I just need to keep bleeding them?
So one assumes you bench bled the master cylinder. That process requires you to connect tubing from the output of the master cylinder to the fluid reservoir and actuating the main shaft until fluid circulates. You have to do it. Check the play between the pedal and the master cylinder as others have stated. Get a workshop manual.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts