Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S Auto
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy guys,

just yesterday I noticed a whining noise while cruising down the highway. It sounds like the noise is coming from below my feet (left-hand side as I'm in the U.S.), and it seems to be most noticeable at around 45-55 mph. It sounds a lot like a dry diff or transfer case would. I can hear it while accelerating and while coasting, and it goes away if I bump the tranny into neutral while I'm driving

I checked the tranny fluid, ATF looks nice and doesn't smell burnt either. The front diff smelled a little funny and had some metal sludge on the drain plug magnet (pic attached), so I replaced the fluid and did the rear at the same time. It still made the noise.

Next, I moved onto checking the wheel bearings. I pulled all the tires and brakes and spun them, no weird noises that I could hear. I inspected and shook all of my CVs, they all seem fine. I also shook my driveshaft and it seems like all of the yokes are in good condition. The only thing that might be cause for concern is that the carrier bearing in the middle seems like it might have a little play, but I'm not really sure how stiff the rubber bushing should be. I can move it 1/8 to 3/16" out of center pretty easily. does this sound normal?

Does anyone have any other ideas that might be causing this noise? Seems to me that a worn driveshaft carrier bearing would make more of a clunking noise. I'm kind of at a loss here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
58966338013__64D66C52-2822-49DA-842D-290178B549D1.JPG

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,493 Posts
First check all of your exhaust heat shields. A loose or rusted heat shield can make strange noises. Hopefully that will be it. Not easy to isolate a defect or problem. Let us know.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts