Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 L auto
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got some of those ARB intensity knock off lights, measured @ 130w each. Them on the bumper plus 4 130w hella 500's on the roof basket makes 780w & 60a, which seems like too much for the 75a stock alternator. I know some other Subaru's have higher rated alternators, will any of them drop into a sf? The more expensive aftermarket offerings aren't an option due to $.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,864 Posts
You're going to need an after market unit that puts out at least 120+ amps. Even the stock ones only go only up to 90amps. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 L auto
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yah I found one on ebay from an '05 legacy for $60, I think that's what I'm going to do. I don't know how I could get something with more amperage without spending alot more money.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,864 Posts
The car needs almost 90amps to function. Adding your lights puts you well into the 150amp range.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 L auto
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's no way it needs almost 90 to function. The stock alternator is only rated to 75, and once alternators heat up they lose 15%ish. I think with 110 rated from the 05 legacy I'll be alright, or I hope so at least, cause I can't afford anything more expensive.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
687 Posts
Recently got some of those ARB intensity knock off lights, measured @ 130w each. Them on the bumper plus 4 130w hella 500's on the roof basket makes 780w & 60a, which seems like too much for the 75a stock alternator. I know some other Subaru's have higher rated alternators, will any of them drop into a sf? The more expensive aftermarket offerings aren't an option due to $.
Did you consider that it might be more cost effective to switch to LED lights rather than doing the alternator upgrade? IMHO I can't see buying new lights with old and inefficient technology.

GD

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,864 Posts
There's no way it needs almost 90 to function. The stock alternator is only rated to 75, and once alternators heat up they lose 15%ish. I think with 110 rated from the 05 legacy I'll be alright, or I hope so at least, cause I can't afford anything more expensive.
Stock 75Amp + your new lights at 60Amp + extra 10Amp overhead = 145Amps, good luck with the 110Amps.

·
Registered
2001 L auto
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Green Darter these new lights are led. I measured them @ 120w each, they're the arb intensity knockoffs. The nice thing about the 500's with the high watt bulbs is how easy it is to change a bulb, and the bulbs are 7.50/ pair. Its hard to get leds that match them for distance especially with 4 of them together.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
687 Posts
@Green Darter these new lights are led. I measured them @ 120w each, they're the arb intensity knockoffs. The nice thing about the 500's with the high watt bulbs is how easy it is to change a bulb, and the bulbs are 7.50/ pair. Its hard to get leds that match them for distance especially with 4 of them together.
Nice thing about LEDs is there are no "bulbs" to change, nor a need to change them if quality is good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts