Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2001 - 30k mile service - no trans filter change?

('01-'02) 
39K views 97 replies 25 participants last post by  bman400 
#1 ·
I decided to bite the bullet and get the entire 30k mile service done at the dealer (mainly becuase I just got the car and am not familiar with it yet AND it is too COLD here in Chicago for me to go outside and wrench :icon_razz:)

Being the anal-retentive guy I am, when I picked up the car, I double checked to make sure all the fluids and such were indeed changed and at the correct levels. At that time, I noticed that the trans filter was not touched. I immediately inquired and was told that it is a non-serviceable part and that is only changed if there is trans damage, etc. OK OK I get it, but:

1 - Why not just change it - can't hurt anything right???

2 - With the trans full of fluid, can I spin off the filter w/o a bunch of fluid spilling out?

Thanks!

#3 ·
You can change it if you like, but I personally wouldn't bother yet. They are supposed to last the lifetime of the car. I did mine at my 60K service.

Yes, you can spin it off but you may lose some fluid to dripping, and some because the filter was full. Probably not more than 1/2 qt -- maybe at most 1 qt total.

#7 ·
Another question regarding the Transmission Filter --- On the AMSOIL web site, it lists the same P/N for the Engine Oil Filter and Transmission Filter for my 2007 2.5X 4EAT. Are the stock filters actually the same, or do they simply have the same size threaded fitting?

Take Care,
David Baldock

#17 ·
How much did you pay for your 30K? i was just quoted about $560 at my local dealer.

I decided to bite the bullet and get the entire 30k mile service done at the dealer (mainly becuase I just got the car and am not familiar with it yet AND it is too COLD here in Chicago for me to go outside and wrench :icon_razz:)

Being the anal-retentive guy I am, when I picked up the car, I double checked to make sure all the fluids and such were indeed changed and at the correct levels. At that time, I noticed that the trans filter was not touched. I immediately inquired and was told that it is a non-serviceable part and that is only changed if there is trans damage, etc. OK OK I get it, but:

1 - Why not just change it - can't hurt anything right???

2 - With the trans full of fluid, can I spin off the filter w/o a bunch of fluid spilling out?

Thanks!

#24 ·
It is an Automatic Transmission, right? (Just checking the simple things first ... :biggrin: )

Take Care,
David Baldock

#32 ·
Then until someone can prove me wrong (usually pretty easy to do), something bad happened on the outside of that transmission and someone jury rigged a half-butt repair.

You might want to talk to your dealer ASAP, or another dealer, or SOA directly - you can simply ask them if they've ever put a USDM 4EAT transmission in a Forester that doesn't have an external filter.

Please keep us updated.

#38 · (Edited)
Straight from the twilight zone.......

I've had 5 different Subaru's from 2003 -2008 all with 4EATS, all with the black spin on filter.

I really can't imagine what happened there. All I can think of is some how the threaded piece got replaced with a bolt. Which I freely admit makes no sense.

The only thing I can think of doing is asking the parts department for a transmission filter for a 2008 LL Bean Forester 4EAT, and if they pass you the regular can filter, ask them where the L you're supposed to put it.

This would be worth running past one of the vendors on the forum here - I'd suggest you post over in Hodges Subaru (Ben's forum) and see what he's got to say.

As I mentioned earlier, please let the rest of us know how its going. As of now you seem to have a one of a kind.

#41 · (Edited)
.. I've had 5 different Subaru's from 2003 -2008 all with 4EATS, all with the black spin on filter... As of now you seem to have a one of a kind.
There's at least 2 of a kind, because the 8th person to post in this thread also has no filter.
... I've had 5 different Subaru's from 2003 -2008 all with 4EATS, all with the black spin on filter. I really can't imagine what happened there... Either its a serious leg pull or or one strange situation... All I can think of is some how the threaded piece got replaced with a bolt.... The only thing I can think of doing is asking the parts department for a transmission filter for a 2008 LL Bean Forester 4EAT...
The parts department having filters for 2008 4EATs does not mean that chillywilly and I had our filters removed. The filters are for your car, not ours.

Would you consider the more likely possibility that the filter was deleted for the US market in late 2008? No illicit removal, no fake photograph, no leg-pulling. Just a regular old-fashioned factory design change? Then there would be thousands of 2008 4EATs with no filter.

My service department invited me to come look under their 2009 automatics to see if they had a filter. Would it be likely that Subaru retained the transmission case with the hole for the filter, so they could continue to provide the filter in other markets? If so, the 2009 4EAT will look the same as the photo of my 2008.

#42 ·
On the phone, my service department was unaware of the missing filter issue, but they do not think I could just unscrew the big plug and screw on a filter, because the transmission might lack the internal supply and return plumbing to support the filter.

#43 · (Edited)
I am willing to accept that they made a design change, although why they would on a design as old and proven as their 4EAT makes no sense at all, at least to me.

If they're not filtering the fluid on the outside, does this mean they changed the guts of the tranny to add an internal screen filter, or was there one there all along and it was working in conjunction with the spin on filter?

Either way, its filtering must be different now.

Think I'll PM a vendor or two. I'd ask my dealer but I doubt they'd know.

#85 ·
... If they're not filtering the fluid on the outside, does this mean they changed the guts of the tranny to add an internal screen filter, or was there one there all along and it was working in conjunction with the spin on filter?...
Revisiting this old thread after talking to my dealer today at 15K.

He said the AT filter was deleted because its marginal benefit was outweighed by the trouble it caused when removed by mistake. The transmission has always had an internal screen.

This led to a discussion of draining vs flushing. He didn't think it would do much good for me to drain 4 of the 10 quarts every 15K to dilute the old fluid with new.
He said it was better to flush every 30K using the BG Power Flush and Fluid Exchange system that connects to the transmission with the engine running, to remove deposits from the torque converter, valve body, filter screen, etc, and replace all the fluid with new.
BG Products, Inc.

Cost-wise, the choice at 30K miles is between:
1. Dealer provide a flush and 10 quarts of new ATF-HP for $180 as part of a 30K Service paid by SubieBucks.
2. Or I do two 15K drains and refills of 4 quarts each at $7.50 equals $60 cash.
I decided to wait and flush at 30K.

#48 ·
I’d bet they found that the lifetime tranny filter was not necessary on some applications and rather than change the case came up with a filter delete cap. Also I’d bet you could remove that cap and install a standard tranny filter in its place.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.