Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

· Registered
2016 Forester Limited CVT
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to bite the bullet and get the entire 30k mile service done at the dealer (mainly becuase I just got the car and am not familiar with it yet AND it is too COLD here in Chicago for me to go outside and wrench :icon_razz:)

Being the anal-retentive guy I am, when I picked up the car, I double checked to make sure all the fluids and such were indeed changed and at the correct levels. At that time, I noticed that the trans filter was not touched. I immediately inquired and was told that it is a non-serviceable part and that is only changed if there is trans damage, etc. OK OK I get it, but:

1 - Why not just change it - can't hurt anything right???

2 - With the trans full of fluid, can I spin off the filter w/o a bunch of fluid spilling out?

Thanks!

· The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,209 Posts
Subaru does not recommend changing the filter unless it's damaged.

· Registered
2004 Forester XT
267 Posts
You can change it if you like, but I personally wouldn't bother yet. They are supposed to last the lifetime of the car. I did mine at my 60K service.

Yes, you can spin it off but you may lose some fluid to dripping, and some because the filter was full. Probably not more than 1/2 qt -- maybe at most 1 qt total.

· Registered
2020 Jasper Green Forester Premium
452 Posts
Another question regarding the Transmission Filter --- On the AMSOIL web site, it lists the same P/N for the Engine Oil Filter and Transmission Filter for my 2007 2.5X 4EAT. Are the stock filters actually the same, or do they simply have the same size threaded fitting?

Take Care,
David Baldock

· Registered
2008 Forester X Auto
164 Posts
I'm curious as to why they put it on there then.
My 08 2.5X auto tranny doesn't have an external filter. I was told the reason Subaru stopped using the external filter is too many quick lubes would remove it thinking it was the oil filter.

So I guess it's not that important or my tranny will die early as a result of it not being there.

· Premium Member
2022 Forester Limited 2018 Forester XT
16,607 Posts
Are the stock filters actually the same, or do they simply have the same size threaded fitting?

Take Care,
David Baldock
They are not the same. Using the finer filtering capability (from the engine) on the tranny will not allow enough flow as I recall.

Conclusion: Pay the extra bucks for the Subaru Tranny Filter.

· Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,998 Posts
They are not the same. Using the finer filtering capability (from the engine) on the tranny will not allow enough flow as I recall.

Conclusion bay the extra bucks for the Subaru Tranny Filter.
DOH!!!
Maybe I should invest in a subaru AT filter. Because I think I have an engine filter mounted on my cars AT by mistake.

· Premium Member
2022 Forester Limited 2018 Forester XT
16,607 Posts
DOH!!!
Maybe I should invest in a subaru AT filter. Because I think I have an engine filter mounted on my cars AT by mistake.
I recall at least one post on here where the non AT filter caused tranny damage. Please get rid of it yesterday.

· Registered
2020 Jasper Green Forester Premium
452 Posts

Conclusion: Pay the extra bucks for the Subaru Tranny Filter.
Thanks for that info. I ordered a Transmission Filter today from Ben at HodgesSubaru.

Take Care,
David Baldock

· Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x
134 Posts
How much did you pay for your 30K? i was just quoted about $560 at my local dealer.

I decided to bite the bullet and get the entire 30k mile service done at the dealer (mainly becuase I just got the car and am not familiar with it yet AND it is too COLD here in Chicago for me to go outside and wrench :icon_razz:)

Being the anal-retentive guy I am, when I picked up the car, I double checked to make sure all the fluids and such were indeed changed and at the correct levels. At that time, I noticed that the trans filter was not touched. I immediately inquired and was told that it is a non-serviceable part and that is only changed if there is trans damage, etc. OK OK I get it, but:

1 - Why not just change it - can't hurt anything right???

2 - With the trans full of fluid, can I spin off the filter w/o a bunch of fluid spilling out?

Thanks!

· Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
43,709 Posts

· Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
5,380 Posts
... My 2008 and my daughter's 2008 have them (external)
I looked for an AT filter on my 2008, and I don't see one. I see the place where it should be, but it has big flat plug screwed into the hole. I wonder if this plug was unscrewed, would an AT filter screw right back in?

1 - 20 of 98 Posts