Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S Premium
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I have an 01 S with 140k. recent headgaskets changed before i bought the car(30k miles ago). THe car was meticulously maintained before i bought it.

I seem to be going through water recently (For the past two months). I see no leaks in the hoses or radiator. Would the water pump be creating an invisible leak? I built a 2.5L hybrid sti motor a while back but i dont remember if the water pump has a weep hole. If it does, would a small leak be disguised by the timing cover?

I may be paranoid but i seem to smell coolant after driving at a consistent rpm (highway) and then come to a stop but i dont know if it is me as i usually come to a stop around a bunch of other cars.

I am going to pull the plugs to see if they show signs of headgasket leak.

Any other typical areas i should look for?

Just dont want to worry about the water, it hasnt over heated but i dont want it to get that far.

Let me know,

Paul

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
Leaking(internally or externally) or burning it are the only 2 options.

Check the oil for coolant.

top off the radiator and look for bubbles.

External coolant leaks are pretty easy to find, look in, under and around the engine.

Who did the HG and do you have a list of what was done?

·
Registered
2001 S Premium
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leaking(internally or externally) or burning it are the only 2 options.

Check the oil for coolant.

top off the radiator and look for bubbles.

External coolant leaks are pretty easy to find, look in, under and around the engine.

Who did the HG and do you have a list of what was done?

Yeah i figured that much, ive been trying to monitor when and how it happens. Ill go through coolant and then i wont other times. Oil is fine as i change it religiously at 3k miles. Just did a tranny service and didnt see any in that fluid either. Coolant looks fine so its not cross contaminating.

all the work was done by a local subaru dealer here that is really top notch. Im gonna get a printout of the service records this weekend and go through it so i can rule out things. If its not the headgasket, it has the be the rad/ hoses/ heater hoses/ or coolant crossover.

I have a feeling it may be the radiator and the leak is so sporadic and remote that im not seeing it. could be on the front behind the condenser, or hidden by the fan shroud.

If not ill pull the timing cover and see if its the water pump and change everything in that area while i'm at it, oil/water pumps, thermostat and timing pullies/belt etc just so i know everything is new and reliable.

The cooling fans have been coming on more often when the issue first showed signs, that is what made me check the coolant. But i dont know how often these come on because its my first NA sub and the first summer season with it.

If im sitting idling it the driveway at operating temp, is it normal for the fan to come on every 3-4 minutes? on my wrx i had a huge aluminum rad and the fans would come on every 6-10 minutes.

I had an issue with an older car of mine where the fans on the water pump became so deteriorated that they disolved and the pump was turning nothing.
But i doubt that is the issue here.

I just hate these mystery issues as most others i can figure out quite easily, luckily i noticed the leak before it got too far though.

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
89 Posts
A cooling system pressure tester may reveal the problem. Some big chain autoparts stores will let you borrow one (with a deposit that gets fully refunded).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts