Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people,
just wondering if this is possible as i do not know a great deal about engine conversions.

If it is possible, what is involved and what changes need to be made to accommodate this conversion?

Cheers

·
Registered
2002 S
2,702 Posts
It's possible as long as you have the harness for the 2000 STi engine.
You'd need to tear the harness out of your car and have it sent to someone to merge the two then reinstall them in your car.
Be warned, and this is assuming you're in the US, JDM ECUs will not pass an OBDII inspection so if your state requires one, look to a newer(02+) JDM swap or get a USDM one.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,564 Posts
Given that the OP is from Australia, I don't think there's much of a problem, as long as both engines have similar electrics eg. plug top coilpacks, and AVCS isn't an issue.

Best answer would be to post in the Aus/NZ forum for more local info.

·
Registered
461 Posts
It's not a straight-forward swap unfortunately. The MY00 uses a different engine wiring loom to the MY01 so you'd be up for quite a few wiring headaches, and you'd require all of the relevant engine ancillaries to suit the older engine. It's worth noting that it's actually illegal in some Australian states to fit an older engine in your car, particularly if doesn't meet the emissions requirements for the relevant year.

There's a load of small details such as swapping over the engine crossmember too.

You'd also need to look at a gearbox swap (the factory dual range NA gearbox isn't the strongest beast) and the all of the usual ancillary mods such as suspension, exhaust, fuel etc.

Then comes the engineering process to maintan legality... this can be particularly painful :(

Sorry if this comes across as being fairly negative, but unless you can do all of the work yourself and have a friend who is an approved engineering signatory, you could be in for a lot of cashola.

·
Registered
2006 XT
60 Posts
In terms of cost, unless you get everything near free you'd be better off selling the Foz and buying a gt. If you've got contacts and the motivation it would turn out pretty good though.
Its amazing how many differences there are even between models in the same series.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts