Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2000 - Replaced the clutch and now wont start? - SOLVED!

10K views 42 replies 8 participants last post by  Ray Bell 
#1 ·
I replaced the clutch and flywheel on my 2000 forester and I been having problems with starting the car after everything was put back together. Engine originally cranked but sputtered so I changed the fuel filter (yes the lines were put on correctly and theres fuel going to the injectors) and gave it fresh gasoline. The sputtering stopped and now only the starter and flywheel is spinning. It has a brand new starter and battery too. Anyone know whats wrong?

#5 ·
ground strap is connected to the bellhousing, starter has been connected properly also. when i try to turn the key to start the rpm gauge bounces all over the place especially when you put your foot on the gas. tried using starting fluid in the throttle body but it didnt even sputter

#10 ·
The gauges jumping around makes me think that you have some sort of electrical issue.

Have you checked the clamps on the battery? Don't just check if the clamp-bolts are tight. Also grab them and see if you can "wiggle" them.

Is the battery fully changed?

(some random things I would start with)

You're saying it "originally cranked". You mean AFTER you replaced the clutch I assume?

You're saying "now only starter and flywheel turn". Since the flywheel is attached to the crank-shaft, I'm assuming the engine is turning over, but it's not starting.

Do you smell fuel after you tried starting a couple of times? If no: Did you check the fuel-pump fuse?

#11 ·
Yep battery was fully charged today and terminals tight. I wore it down some but i put it back on the charger when the starter slowed down and its charging back up right now. Motor cranks but won’t start. I swapped the #11 fuse for a new 15 amp fuse and as far as i can tell the fuel pump is doing its job and i can hear it for a second from the RR of the car when i turn the key. The fuel filter i replaced is filled with fuel now and there is fuel heading out to the injectors

#19 ·
Replaced both sensors and cleared the codes but it still doesnt wanna start. l didnt pull the brown cable only the large white one which is for both of my o2 sensors, backup plug, and the small red and grey plugs, only what was necessary to remove the tranny

#26 ·
So you have power at the fuel pump and injectors, etc.. Weird.. It should do something unless your timing is out of whack.

Maybe your missing a ground?
Strange but I don't see mention of a ground connection on the transmission or engine in the manual. Maybe I'm missing it but they really shouldn't rely on mounting bolts for that. The engine must have ground because your starter is turning.
See what happens when you hook a large ground to a beefy part of the transmission. Maybe use the negative part of a booster cable, attach the black end to the battery and the other black end to the transmission - let the red dangle dangle. (I'm suggesting the black end so there's no doubt what you're doing and things can't go sideways). See whether that does something.

Edit: Forgot you have an MT. I'm not sure whether a ground on a MT transmission is even needed for the electrical to work properly - that may be a dumb suggestion but we're grasping at straws so give it a whirl. :)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.