Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i have a forester 2000 gt -
Wanting to upgrade the back speaker but both cords are totally burnt out.
Anyone know what the factory cords are that i should buy to replace?

Cheers

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
368 Posts
If I where to do it, I'll just use some 12 gauge speaker cable. Running out of the back of the head unit cut and tap into the rear wires. Then its just a matter running new speaker cable down the cabin.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I where to do it, I'll just use some 12 gauge speaker cable. Running out of the back of the head unit cut and tap into the rear wires. Then its just a matter running new speaker cable down the cabin.
Thanks! think thats too much work for me ( amateur ) think ill just forget about rear speakers and buy some nice front ones

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
368 Posts
wow, only once have i seen that. It happen when the voice coil on the speaker blew, but the owner never bother to fix it. Keep playing music even though one speaker sounded like two bricks rubbing together.

Not sure if that's the case on your end or some where the speaker wires are being pinched, but that would blow the stereo fuse, maybe?
Chances are the speaker is toast, and the connector just looks bad. You can always cut the connector, strip back the wires and hard wire it to the speaker. But that's if you want to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow, only once have i seen that. It happen when the voice coil on the speaker blew, but the owner never bother to fix it. Keep playing music even though one speaker sounded like two bricks rubbing together.

Not sure if that's the case on your end or some where the speaker wires are being pinched, but that would blow the stereo fuse, maybe?
Chances are the speaker is toast, and the connector just looks bad. You can always cut the connector, strip back the wires and hard wire it to the speaker. But that's if you want to.
Had to throw one of the old speakers out but one is still working!
yeah i didnt event consider the stripping method, will do that if i decide to get rear speaker which im on the fence about.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,750 Posts
@djdj That would take some serious audio volume... power to melt those speaker connectors & wires!

I wouldn't mess with replacing the speaker wiring harness. Even if you find them for cheap at a wrecker, way too much trouble to install it!
  • If you go with aftermarket speakers, they usually come with a short cable that you could splice to the factory wires.
  • If you stay with the factory speakers, you could solder wires directly to the speaker, then splice those wires to the factory speaker wires.
  • Watch the speaker wire polarity!
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
33 Posts
Wow, never have I seen speaker wire as fried as that from anything resembling a stock stereo. Your best bet may be to look up a parts car in a junk yard and rob the pigtails from the speakers. Or get on ebay and find a set of oe speakers with pigtails, or maybe just the used pigtails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts