Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helping my son get his first car on the road. 2000 Forester 5 speed. In order to pass inspection, the lines needed to be repairs at rear union block. These have to be flared to pass so I did all 4. Leading into the block I did them inside the car under the seat and leading out, I pulled the lines down and did them about 6” back. I’ve checked for leaks in all 4 connections. No leaks. Son wasn’t home for the bleeding process so I used my MightyVac and started at drivers rear then passenger rear. Pedal was soft so when my son got home, started at drivers rear and worked counterclockwise back around and bled all 4. Didn’t see any air bubbles. Still soft pedal. Do you think air could be trapped in the block itself? When I cut the lines it drained the fluid in the lines obviously. It will stop but it’s a lot of pedal travel,

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
It can be difficult to get all the air our. I used to use a mightyVac ro bleed brakes.
You may have gotten air in the main cylinder or control unit. If so, that may take pressure bleeding to get it all out.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
What Remco said, bleed again.

When I used to have patience to bleed my own brakes, I would hook up some tight fitting ,clear vinyl tubing on the bleeder ,after fitting a closed end wrench over the bleeder hex.

Ne x t step was a schmear of grease around the base of the bleeder and around the tubing bleeder interface to negate any possibility of air leakage at that point.

Tubing was then submerged in a clear glass gar with some water covering the tubing.

Crack the bleeder 1/4 turn...

Then, it was 15 slow pumps of thebrake,top off MC, 15 more pumps, check tubing for bubbles and clear fluid, repeat if needed, then move on to the next closest corner or per service manual instructions,.. not forgetting the ABS bleeder.
No helper needed as long as tubing stays submerged, the BMC does not run dry, and fluid clears up w/ no bubbles in line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. This car has ABS right? Maybe air trapped in there? I used to race Porsche and bled the brakes at the track every couple sessions. On the 911 and 944, the m/c reservoir was a screw on and you could buy a metal cap with a hose connection. I rigged a regulator and hooked to a portable air tank to make my pressure and then I could just bleed each by myself. Either way, I’ve got a fresh can of fluid and my son and I will do some more manual bleeding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. This car has ABS right? Maybe air trapped in there? I used to race Porsche and bled the brakes at the track every couple sessions. On the 911 and 944, the m/c reservoir was a screw on and you could buy a metal cap with a hose connection. I rigged a regulator and hooked to a portable air tank to make my pressure and then I could just bleed each by myself. Either way, I’ve got a fresh can of fluid and my son and I will do some more manual bleeding. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts