Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2000 S-turbo Auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, lurked for ages but embarassingly now signed up because I need help with something.

I need to get some work done for the MOT and I have an arangement with a tame mechanic where If supply parts and don't take the piss, he fits them.

I like to try and keep my end of the arrangerment up, but ths time i'm struggling to find all the parts and I would really hate for the guy to get it all to bits then discover I got it wrong.

If anyone can advise what I need I would be really grateful, its a 2000 S-turbo Auto

Headlamps (polish the haze off I guess and check bulb alignment) and bulb I can sort, ball Joint I think is the one in the link below, but I can't find the ARB linkage or prop shaft CV boots on ICP?

Font Document Number Paper

·
Registered
2000 S-turbo Auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome.

Import Car Parts is a good start for the bits you need.

For headlights try taking a look on ebay or forester specific breakers.
Yeah thanks, I believe I found the ball joint on Import Car Parts, I always try to use them 1st, thats hopefully the one in the link, I just can't find and not 100% sure of what the other parts are, I have messaged them but not yet had a reply and don't want to hassle them if they are busy.

Im pretty sure I can sort the headlights without replacement though.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,247 Posts

·
Registered
2000 S-turbo Auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Forester XT
43 Posts
i did my CV boot with a Universal Split CV Bailcast Boot Kit. it saves taking out the CV axle (if you are tempted to diy).
i used them because i had a time limit to get it back to the MOT garage (its free retest if repaired in a certain time frame), and those boots are easy to fit (no need to take anything apart, just some patience).
The product isn't as substantial as the original subaru boot but i have put 10k miles through it and it still looks new.
The only problem could be if the joints have been run dry of grease then they can be damaged and the whole axle is required for replacement, but they should soon spot that when they get it on a ramp.
Best of luck

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,767 Posts
For a car pushing 22 years old, that is pretty good. Basically you need your CV axles rebooted, and a control arm ball joint. Roll bar bushing are dirt cheap, and its probably a good idea to replace the end links while you are at it. A turtle wax lens polishing kit and a bit of elbow grease should shine up your headlights and make the car look better. If you can find a place that can weld the minor leaks on your exhaust. Actually I am surprised the exhaust is not a major fail.
Good luck with the repairs.

·
Administrator
18,738 Posts
If those CV boots have been split for quite some time then would be best to replace the shafts as contaminated CVs may not last long ;)

·
Registered
2000 S-turbo Auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If those CV boots have been split for quite some time then would be best to replace the shafts as contaminated CVs may not last long ;)
I'm not one to cheap out as i love this car, I mean its a 20yo 2l turbo, being cheap is almost not an option, but the boots have never shown up deteriorated previously and I dont do many miles (not last year anyway) so I'm hoping it not likely that they are toast, I'll get the guy to check, but fingers crossed.

Really I'm just after a part number so I make sure i order the correct parts to replace the boots, I can't see a specific boot for the prop shaft on the Import car parts site and really dont want to mess the fitter around with incorrect parts.

·
Administrator
18,738 Posts
i did my CV boot with a Universal Split CV Bailcast Boot Kit
@APL10000 If you don't go with this option the mechanic will have to pull the axles out to fit new boots and with the labour cost to do that you might as well install new / reconditioned axles.

I can't see a specific boot for the prop shaft
BTW it's not the "Prop shaft" it's the front axles / drive shafts. (A "Prop shaft" does not have a "Nearside" or "Offside" as it runs down the middle of the car between the gearbox and rear diff. It also has no boots.)
There are 2 boots on each axle, an inner and outer, I can only assume by the MOT description that it is the outer boot on each side of the vehicle. The outer boot is just under the letter "A".
Hand Rectangle Organism Gesture Art

Here's the front axle from a 2003 but would be similar. No. 8 is the inner boot and No. 9 is the outer boot
Slope Font Parallel Music Rectangle

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
2,099 Posts
Hi and welcome buddy.
Why not just buy the CV joint kit for peace of mind.. These are easy to fit and your mechanic will have no problem. The link is below.
Gas Liquid Font Office supplies Household hardware

CV Joint Kit JAPANPARTS GI-709 8033001070392 | eBay

Also ICP as stated above are great for parts and will answer your queries and emails, it just may take Mark a few days to get back to you but he always does and more than likely has the above part I've linked.

The person who knows absolutely everything regarding part numbers and more than likely everything else you need to know is @don1952

Good to hear you're keeping another old Fozzie on the road and if you need any parts either interior or external body parts then give me a shout as I still have my old sf5 my99 S turbo in the garden I'm using as a shed. :oops:

Andy.

Reactions: Quadraria10

·
Registered
2000 S-turbo Auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
2000 S-turbo Auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi and welcome buddy.
Why not just buy the CV joint kit for peace of mind.. These are easy to fit and your mechanic will have no problem. The link is below.

CV Joint Kit JAPANPARTS GI-709 8033001070392 | eBay

Also ICP as stated above are great for parts and will answer your queries and emails, it just may take Mark a few days to get back to you but he always does and more than likely has the above part I've linked.

The person who knows absolutely everything regarding part numbers and more than likely everything else you need to know is @don1952

Good to hear you're keeping another old Fozzie on the road and if you need any parts either interior or external body parts then give me a shout as I still have my old sf5 my99 S turbo in the garden I'm using as a shed. :oops:

Andy.
Ok thanks, so 2x of the below?

I'm sorry I really am a bit of a noob when it somes to stuff under the car

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
2,099 Posts
Ok thanks, so 2x of the below?

I'm sorry I really am a bit of a noob when it somes to stuff under the car
It depends if your car has an abs ring on the CV joint or if its separate and bolted the the hub. I know that my99 sf5 s turbo had external abs rings bolted to the hub so that's why I linked the CV joint kit above and looked in the listing to make sure it fitted your car. I'm not entirely sure yours has or hasn't. Best to check before you order.
If you can see the abs sensor ring behind the disk then you need the ones I linked. If not then the ones you linked will be correct.
I've noticed icp have the ringless ones too.
Subaru Forester 2.0 Turbo S SF5 CV Joint Kit No ABS Ring
Great price (y)

Reactions: Lockheed
1 - 17 of 17 Posts