Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester S
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I overheated after idling with AC on for a while at lunch. No lights or anything, just noticed it because AC shut itself of, and found a mess of coolant sprayed about when I popped the hood after I got home (it was only a few miles out and back). Noticed main fan not spinning.

Anyhow, jumper tested fans, sub works fine, main won't come on. Multimeter measures 12v at sub, nothing at main socket, tried swapping fuses with sub to no avail. Pulled up fuse/relay box to jiggle wire harnesses below, also no go.

Anything I can try before taking it to the dr?

Thanks y'all, hope you are staying cool.

·
Registered
2000 Forester S
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, no go. Ok, so to clarify, it is the driver side fan not coming on, is that the sub or main? Putting a jumper on the relay labeled sub makes the passenger side run.

·
Registered
2000 Forester S
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the middle of main relay supposed to be live at all times? Can I check from there to battery ground first before trailing the ground all the way to the fan?

·
Administrator
16,883 Posts
Bobby @2.5x_sleeper probably has a better knowledge of that than I ;-) But I would first check to see if this is a grounding issue at the supply plug i.e. continuity from one of the pins to a nearby ground point be it a bolt / body / engine etc.

·
Registered
2000 Forester S
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Kevin Before I pull the dash out(assuming it requires pulling cover off) does anyone know if the middle 12v supply to the main fan relay should always be on? I'll test it against battery ground if so, that would quickly limit to issue to between the relay ground and the fan

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,517 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Forester S
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@2.5x_sleeper It might be the fan itself (I couldn't test the fan from above). Is it ok to drive it medium distance without long idles with the main fan kaput?

·
Administrator
40,517 Posts
@freshsisyphus my first thought is no, unless you're driving to a shop for repairs. As I see it, with the main fan being inoperative, the sub-fan is not going to turn on until the coolant is pretty hot & may not be able to cool it quick enough before overheating?

Have you verified the main fan is bad by connecting +12V to it directly?
When you connected those green test connectors, did the radiator fans cycle... operate?

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2000 Forester S
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@2.5x_sleeper Sub turns on if I turn AC on. Green connection cycled sub but not main. I wasn't able to reach in the fan connector to direct wire it to 12v. I was able to get 12v on the main relay socket and tried a jumper but that didn't run the fan. The connector has oil in it so it's possible that it's the fanside connector that is dirty or corroded, but I can't see it looking in from the topside.

·
Administrator
40,517 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts