Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester L manual
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped transmission to replace clutch and shifter seal that was leaking, and removed both switches because reverse lights would intermittently not shine. Neither switch registered continuity when tested on the bench like the new replacements do. But per reports here and elsewhere, the switch assemblies are supposedly identical. The rockauto catalog sells the identical part for both neutral and back up switches for at least the 1998 thru 2002 models i checked.

But my neutral harness and switch has keys on the opposite side.

The replacements are keyed like the grey originals (back up / reverse). My neutral harness is the rare style (here brown / orange).

Check your type before ordering. The correct part number for my vehicle's neutral switch is 32008AA074 (supersedes 32008AA073, 32008AA072, 32008AA071)

I'm just going to cut the plastic key off the harness instead of waiting for a new original part, as they are functionally equal.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,722 Posts
Good analysis, and a well informed solution!

Subaru does have a history of using up parts from earlier years or other models, till they run out and switch to the one they officially specify. I encountered that with brake pads for my early- in-the-year 2003.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts