Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Automatic
131 Posts
Hey Steve,

The questions begs: Why use a Roki filter for a Mazda when you can get one for a Subaru?

If you do some online research you can find a lot of places selling the Japanese-made, black can Tokyo Roki filter designed for the Subaru ...to include Amazon. There's a lot of Subaru parts departments running online businesses and generally selling OEM parts at better price points than if you stopped into the shop itself.

The blue can filters Subaru of North America uses are all made by Honeywell, AKA, Fram. And Fram is probably the cheapest made oil filter you could possibly buy ...it's no secret how Fram filters are put together and they aren't any better when they say "Subaru" on them. And as far as filtering capacity, it's not just how physically big the filter is on the outside but how much filter media is on the inside ...and the black can filters have more pleats of filtering media than the blue can version ....ergo a higher capacity filter.

I have a 2011 Foz, 2.5X ...the first year for the new 2.5L engine ...and I scored a case load of the Roki filters from an online Subie parts retailer. I did the research to find the cross reference for the black can equivalent of the blue can filter. Buying in bulk means I'm pretty much set for the forseeable future with good quality OEM Subaru oil filters for my Foz.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Can you tell me the the name of the parts supplier? Thanks, I really appreciate the information

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
186 Posts
Have a look at the Ryco Z547ST.
M20x1.5
90mm H
62mm seal dia.
80mm
Synthetic media
16 micron at 75% efficiency (98.7%).
However, website doesn’t mention pressure relief valve, and anti drain valve (however the one I got for the mower had both, and wasn’t mentioned on website).

They also have another range (not available in all filter models), that are silver coloured (have ‘HE’ after part number) and purport to be even lower in micron filtration.

I’ve seen the Z547ST’s, for 20 bucks (Pacific Peso’s), whereas the Black Subaru filters (Tokyo Roki), still cost 25.

Honda MPE, also had a Blue Tokyo Roki filter, that has the same dimensions as the Subaru filter (unsure of internal specs though).

Donaldson Filters also have a search function on their website, based on dimensions, filtration specs, and filter features.

In the past, I would have considered Ryco to be cheap sh!ty filters. But their new stuff, is warranting my attention. Yet to put one in my vehicle, but have done so on a forklift, mower, and pump motor.

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
186 Posts
Actually “CANCEL” that, on the Z547ST.

Its heaps skinnier than the picture makes it out to be (website doesn’t list overall dia.). The seal diameter is the same, as is the thread pitch, but the surface area would be significantly smaller.

Would prefer more surface area, and finer filtration, it’s proving to be harder to track down.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Automatic
131 Posts
Just do an online seach for "oem subaru parts" and you should come up with some sources. The two links I have are expired ...or have been renamed. You can also scope out Amazon as well.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts