Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I heard that Mazda R8 oil filters will fit on Subaru's. I was wondering if anyone knew the Mazda part number that will fit my 2000 Forester?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I came across some information and saw some videos saying the Mazda filter is still made in Japan by Tokyo Roki. They are supposed to be a lot better then the Subaru filters made here. And for not much more money. I guess Subaru filters were black and made in Japan by that company. You can't buy those here anymore. The Mazda ones are a little longer but they are supposed to fit. But, I've only seen them used on cars newer then mine. I've put some money into this car already and figured I'd like to use a really good filter. If a Mazda filter won't fit my year then I'll use a Wix filter. I here those are really good too.

·
Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
324 Posts
I used to have 90's Mazdas. The people who modified those cars used the Corvette ZR1 filter because it was way bigger than stock and threaded right on.

I'd just use the Subaru filter. They did all of their product development with it, and determined it was good. Everything else is conjecture, unless you have test data?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No data. Just you tube videos. I was curious if it would work. It seems like a really well made filter compared to the OEM blue filter.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
541 Posts
@adc That’s kinda been my point of view. If one changes their oil/filter on a regular basis, using a good quality oil, there’s little chance of an OEM filter causing any issues...

Are there better made/quality filters? No doubt, and they may be comparably priced... maybe even less expensive...

The question is, is a better than OEM filter necessary for the average vehicle? Unless there are other issues involved (extreme conditions, excessively hard driving, etc.), the answer seems to be “No”.

·
Registered
09 forester
203 Posts
Mr Subaru did a video on 10 or so different filters. I've been using OEM filters for 10 years, I change oil every 5K. I may switch to Purolator after I use up my OEM filters.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I saw that too. That's where I saw the Mazda filter. I thought it was really neat that a Mazda filter could be used. I figured if I don't want to go with the Mazda filter then I'd go with Wix or Purolator. I was just thinking that it would be something different to try, so I started looking into other filter options. I totally get that if you change your oil regularly the filter kinda doesn't matter. Everyone on here has been really helpful and I really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,438 Posts
The question is, is a better than OEM filter necessary for the average vehicle? Unless there are other issues involved (extreme conditions, excessively hard driving, etc.), the answer seems to be “No”.

Subaru filters will be near 40 micron territory ad are 90+% of all filters.

·
Registered
2005 Forester EJ251
92 Posts
Look up the Australian Ryco website. It gives all the dimensions of the filters including thread type and oil seal ring size. You need to check if there is an over-pressure relief valve and a non-return valve even though the outside dimensions might be suitable. The other thing to do is email them. They helped me find a suitable filter for an old Toyota which was twice the size and half or less the price.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
1 Posts
Yes, @SteveC is correct. There is a Mazda oil filter that fits and some here do use it because it is slightly longer and therefore more filtering capacity vs the short Subaru filter.
Just an FYI that Nissan 4.0 oil filters also work on a Forester 2.5. Been doing that for years. Same FRAM cross reference.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts