Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester L Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2000 forester. No low beams and no fog lights are working. The high beams work as well as the flash to pass. All other signals and backup lights work.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
Have you checked your low-beam bulbs? It's worth a check.

Most likely, you have bad grounding in your lighting circuit. Subaru switches the ground to turn on the lights. Trace the wiring, clean (unplug-replug all connections), clean all ground points. In the fuse box, check the lighting relays. Your problem should go away.

·
Registered
2006 XT Limited 4EAT
4,793 Posts
~90% chance the bulbs are burned out. Before you go nuts chasing grounds and checking wiring/relays, check the offending bulb terminals with a multimeter.

·
Registered
1999 Forester 5MT
856 Posts
I'd turn the headlight switch on and check the headlight plugs for voltage and ground. If good, you need new bulbs.

·
Registered
2000 Forester L Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
low beams not working

Thanks to all. The problem was in the wiring harness to the headlight switch on the steering column. The wire was yellow with a blue strip. it showed as burnt. took it apart, clean it, put some dielectric on it, crimp it so it would be tight on the switch terminal. The fog lights also started working when I fixed the connection. I guess it is wired in somehow thru the lighting sys.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
Good news. Thanks for getting back. Subaru's lighting circuits are strange to behold.

·
Registered
1999 Forester L Manual
1 Posts
Thanks to all. The problem was in the wiring harness to the headlight switch on the steering column. The wire was yellow with a blue strip. it showed as burnt. took it apart, clean it, put some dielectric on it, crimp it so it would be tight on the switch terminal. The fog lights also started working when I fixed the connection. I guess it is wired in somehow thru the lighting sys.
Can confirm this solution. I had the same issue. Removed cover from bottom of steering column, unplugged the harness connection going towards the light switch on column, cleaned up the top left pin (yellow wire with blue stripe, which was burnt) and plugged it back in.
Low beams now work but I will likely replace the connector in the future since it was slightly melted.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,247 Posts
1 Posts
This was helpful to begin to understand the problem. Inam looking at the harness that I completely pulled out. Doesn't look burned out. I checked it from where it hooks up to the switch terminal and also to the other end above the bbrake pedal. Do you think it will be the switch itself?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts