Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester Automatic
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
This is my first time posting here. I have a 2000 forester that is having an electrical issue. None of the interior lights work, and the cd & cassette player just stopped working all of a sudden also. I thought that perhaps the cd player just died, so I purchased another, wired it in, and nothing. There was no power to it.

I have to start off saying that i'm not very good when it comes to electrical, so any thoughts/advice on how to fix this would be appreciated. I checked all the fuses, and none were blown. Could it be that a ground came loose perhaps? I just thought that someone might have had this happen to them before, and might know where the best place to start looking might be.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 2.5x Auto
346 Posts
No power

It sure sounds like a bad fuse. Have another look. I don't know about your model, but mine has fuses under the driver side dash, a few under the passenger side and, of course, also under the hood. The stereo should have two fuses; one for battery and another for accessories.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Automatic
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks. I'll take a look. It was actually my dad who looked, it's his car, but i'll take a look myself. Perhaps he missed something. I wasn't aware that there were fuses in three locations either.

I'll let you know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Automatic
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, I took a look in the car for fuses, but the only ones I saw were the ones under the hood. The car is actually a 2001, not a 2000. I don't know if that matters. Any chance anyone could tell me which are for the interior lights, and the cd/cassette player?

I don't mean to be a pain, but when looking at the diagram on the fuse box lid from under the hood I don't see any that say anything related to these.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
2001 Forester Automatic
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a little searching online, and found the fuses that are inside. I checked, and it's not a fuse.

I'm stumped here.

The cd & cassette player, interior roof lights, clock, map lights (by clock), and cruise control are all out. Everything, except the cruise control, went out all at once.

The odd thing is that there is still power to the "cigarette lighter" outlet, and the illumination still works on the cd/cassette player area. The heater, fans, ac, and everything else in that area works.

I'm going to keep doing research, but i just don't know what/where to look.

I checked the solder on the #510 for the clock, and that was fine, so the clock isn't out due to that as apparently many are.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2011 2.5x Auto
346 Posts
wiring diagram

I still think it's a fuse problem. I typed: "2001 wiring diagram" into the search box above. If the info is correct, the underhood fuse is #2 and the underdash fuse is #9. You should actually replace them; sometimes they can be bad but look ok visually. Alternatively, test them with a multimeter.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Automatic
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I didn't know that. I thought they'd either be blown, or not. I'll replace them and see what happens. I appreciate you looking up the info for me. I couldn't seem to find it for some reason. Well I couldn't find the one for under the hood anyway.

It would be nice to have music, lights, and a trip odometer back. lol
Then I have to figure out what's wrong with the cruise control. ugh...gremlins.

Thanks again! I'll let you know if I fix it.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Automatic
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So it took a few tries with different fuses (all 15amp naturally), but it worked. You were right. Even though the fuses looked ok, they weren't. Or at least one wasn't. WOOO HOOOOOOO!!!

This is the first time in a long time that music has played in the baru, and also that there was interior lighting. lol Little, but nice, victory.

Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts