Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ABS on my 2000 Forester L has been acting screwy of late and after a recent trip for my state inspection I was told the front sensors were covered with rust and assorted brake grime.

Seems like a pretty simple fix but I'd like some feedback on the correct way to clean the sensors. I'm assuming I can damage them if I'm not careful. Any info would be appreciated!

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
@JKoob The sensors are covered in rust, or the ABS rotor thing that has all the holes in it? (excuse my incompetence in remembering what the correct term for it is) If it's just the bit that connects to the hub that the sensor reads off of, then just pull the wheel, brakes, then clean up the ABS rotor thing. Mine was full of mud and grime. Cleaned it up with some brake parts cleaner and a tire scrubber. Works perfect now.

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like it wouldn't hurt if I cleaned the sensors AND the rings. I don't think I've ever had ABS issues with any car I've owned so this is all new to me. Thanks for the heads-up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.