Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester GLS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Fozzie has developed a problem.

As I was accelerating the dual range high/low transmission slipped out of high gear into neutral. It did it several times, despite me making sure that the lever was fully down. There is no problem with the ordinary gear stick or any of the standard five gears. It's just the high/low dual range one that keeps popping out of high into neutral every ten minutes or so. I now have to drive holding the high/low gear stick in place especially when pulling out of side roads, because the lever seems to want to lift up (or be pushed up) enough to pull the transmission out of high gear.

Does anyone know what is happening here, and how to fix it?

All thoughts most welcome.

thanks

Stumbler

2000 Fozzie GLS non-turbo manual

·
Registered
2006 Forester Manual
38 Posts
i have the same thing but its only when i use lo range and when i put it back into hi, it wont go and makes grindy gear noises as it slips.. I stop and de-clutch and try again.. its like i have to push real hard for it to stay in hi.. i cant believe there are no replies to your post? does anyone have any causes or remedies to report?

·
Registered
2006 Forester Manual
38 Posts
For the last year,

after I use lo range and put it back into hi range, it does not engage and as I let go of the clutch, the gearbox grinds and doesn't grab and the lo range selector resonates a grinding noise which can be felt through the lo hi selector because it hasn't gone into hi range properly. To fix this, I have to press down hard on hi range selector and let go of the clutch for it to engage properly. It worries me why it won't go back into hi range. If I give it firm pressure, I don't hear any grinding noises at all. But I shouldnt have to hold down the hi range selector with such force. What could be the cause of hi range not engaging properly?

·
Registered
2004 forester x
22 Posts
Hi Niko,

Did you find out what the problem was with your hi/lo range ?
I have a similar problem with my car

·
Registered
2002 MY03 Forester 5 speed manual. 1.6:1 low range
218 Posts
The Hi Lo range change cable can stretch causing a shifting problem.
The lock nuts holding the adjustment clamp in place on top of the gearbox can also loosen and require tightening, after adjustment.
Check these two things.

·
Registered
2006 Forester Manual
38 Posts
Hi Niko,

Did you find out what the problem was with your hi/lo range ?
I have a similar problem with my car
No, i havnt found a solution yet. Two years later it still happens but it has not prevented me from driving the car. I just need to press down firmly if i use the selector. I have no problems if i press firm and release the clutch. Once it grabs, i can let go and all is fine and she is good to go.

It strange that there are no reports regarding this issue.

:bling:

·
Registered
2006 Forester Manual
38 Posts
The lock nuts holding the adjustment clamp in place on top of the gearbox can also loosen and require tightening, after adjustment.
Check these two things.
Thanks, i only just noticed your post. I will have a look.

:Banane35:

·
Registered
99 Forester
1 Posts
Thanks, i only just noticed your post. I will have a look.

:Banane35:
Check these two things.
I had a problem with hi/lo "Drive Select Leaver" after a mechanic replaced the clutch in a '99 Forester.

The Select would only go into lo, up position, and would grind if I put it into Hi, down position, it would grind if I tried to take off.

Mechanic adjusted the cable attached at the gearbox side and its all good now.

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,299 Posts
G'day & Welcome aboard @Scott 2020
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts