Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing my first subaru HG job on my 2000 foz 2.5 SOHC. When I was threading the head bolts they got a little tight before bottoming out...i believe i had too much oil in the bore of the #6 bolt (too much oil in all 6 more likely) and when tightening to snug there was a pop like a fire cracker and i swear i saw a little spray come out from somewhere. So did I split the seal on the block or something? Im so freaking upset and i just hope i didnt screw something up too bad...can someone let me know...please and thank you

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
457 Posts
Most likely scenario is that you didn't properly clean out the head bolt bore or the bolt threads. These need to be CLEAN and lubricated. That popping you felt is the bolt binding on the threads, and there should not be excess oil in those bores, just enough to coat the threads.

I would suggest reading this ENTIRE thread, and chasing down any links therein. In the thread I parrot a lot of advice given to me by a friend who owns an independent Subaru repair shop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@soobcrazy Thank you very much for the link...im diving in now...

So according to this i hydro locked the head bolt by having to much oil on the bolt and or the bore. I did have the engine on an angle so that the head wouldn't slip. So i guess my question is when i compressed that oil in the bore with the bolt where would that oil explode out of? I didn't see any visible cracks but it sounded like a fire cracker and visible out burst from somewhere...i just hate to get the motor re -assembled and back in the car only to find out half way home that my block is trashed or i did some other type of damage. we just need to get home 8 hours away

·
Registered
2005 Forester X and XT Manual and Auto
942 Posts
I had a scenario where i had one bolt that was tough going in. Me being an idiot, i went ahead and torqued it down. When i primed the engine, oil leaked at the gasket. Turned out i had a gasket on upside down - which means only 1 gally is not sealed properly (the rest look perfect, hence the mistake). You can check the gasket overhang to make sure it's on right without dissassembling. Just compare pictures of other engines with yours. If it's on wrong, you'll see a big difference in where the gasket sticks out of the block and what it should look like.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My thanks for the help and insight! Its very comforting to know that there are people willing to share knowledge. I got the motor back in and fired up! Waiting for a friend to bring a scan tool.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
457 Posts
No problem! It often pays (saves?) to stop, step back and do a fair bit of research if you are unsure. The answers are out there, but sometime they can be hard to find without a guide.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@soobcrazy yeah I believe i was lucky...got it plugged up to the scan tool today. no error codes except the one telling me that the engine coolant temp sensor isnt working which i noticed since test driving it today...got one ordered. Would an ODD2 tuner chip work well with this car or something similar to make it run smoother??? i think the air fuel mix is a little off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i did my research and came to that conclusion lol. so now that the ECT sensor is good she runs great. No check engine light but she sure sounds a lot noisier than before...Very clicky or tick tick like...im not sure what it is and ill keep listening lol...maybe time to take it in for a tune up by a pro?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts