Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester GT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 200 GT with 168,000 on the clock. I purchased it new. It has had every service on schedule and always at a Subaru Dealer. No modifications to the car at all.

The performance of this vehicle seems to have declined steadily in the last couple of years. I thought it was just me until I was tailing a friend in a 2000 GX Forester not long ago. I couldn't keep up with him from a standing start! Ever!

I used to be the first one off the block at traffic lights (if I chose to) now I seem to be accelerating hard just to keep up with the traffic.

My GT seems to be suffering from severe turbo lag and where I used to be able to feel torque under load, at about 3,200 rpm and then about 4,200 rpm - it's no longer there.

There is also a weird noise coming from under the hood when the car is accelerating under load. It kind of sounds like a long moo from a cow. Generally the louder the sound, the less the acceleration. And the sound seems to start at the point I would expect to feel some turbo boost. Also, the turbo makes a very loud sucking hissing sound, much louder than there used to be.

I have been told by Subaru that the car is mechanically A1 and that I should use high octane petrol. I do, and I've got the receipts to prove it.

I'm getting a little tired of being told the car is fine. It isn't. It drives more like an old wagon now than a Turbo GT.

Anyone have the same problems, or know what I can do to fix it?

christo09

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Have you replaced or at least cleaned out all the thin boost tubes and the boost control valve . ? When the ones on my T/tb were done boost increased by .3bar almost and response much sharper. A hissing sound would be from a leak or split tube. The ones near the turbo bake hard over the yrs and can crack.
Worth a check.

Good luck

Brian

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,621 Posts
It kind of sounds like a long moo from a cow
Sounds as if your recirc (dump) valve may be leaking/not seating properly.

Taken from Scoobypedia.......

Dump Valves
There seems to be a recognised problem with the 1997 specification car’s dump valve (aka Blow off Valves and By-pass Valves). This does not shut properly under boost and thus vibrates giving the sound similar to someone blowing across the top of an open bottle. It has also been likened to a steam train whistle or ship fog horn in extreme circumstances!. Meanwhile the 1998 model seems to have a totally revamped and larger blow off system, but I have had reports that the problem sometimes still occurs.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Not sure about that report (and it has to refer to Impreza engines as GT/S-turbo are 99my on only), but the pre 01MY S-turbo/GT's suffer from leaking recirc valves (my 99MY) did, it can be fixed by removing the piping to the lower port or using a 99/00MY impreza part.

Simon

·
Registered
1997 S/TB
245 Posts
On my 1997 S/tb the recirc valve 'moo' sound only tended to happen when lifting off, not when accelerating, although I changed mine before it got too bad, so it's possible this could be a worse stage of faliure.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Yes (all OEM ones I've ever seen are), but the noise will come from a resonating diapragm and that is very dependant on the layout of the valve, just because a totally different valve has a problem, doens't mean the later one will, likewise other manufacturers almost certainly used the 97/98 valve and probably didn't have problems either!

Simon

·
Registered
2000 Forester GT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Recently had its 165,000k service. The problem is now almost gone and got most of its performance is back. The service guy said it was something to do with an improper air filter installation - something about not closing off something-or-other. Please forgive the lack of technicalities. He did say he thinks this foz hammers compared to other stockies of the same vintage however.

The 'moo' sound still occurs, but only sometimes, under load and is very subtle now. I can keep up with the V6's and V8's again now when I get the revs and clutch right on a take off. I like that in a four cylinder station wagon.

Will be looking into the other stuff mentioned above, thanks all.

Got a new problem now but:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/00-gt-drive-train-issue-when-warm-54265/#post604389

·
Registered
2000 GT Forester 5sp Manual
3 Posts
Long time replying to this. Totally forgot I was even a member of this forum.

My GT just turned 20 this month and is still going strong at 269,000kms.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts