1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Timing Belt

Hi everyone!

I was driving down the highway and snap goes my TB.
Bought new bearings, tensioner, belt.
Lined up marks on cams and crank.
Installed new parts.
Turn the key and no firing!

Gets fuel and fire.

Please let me know what a solution could be!!!

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,407 Posts
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Sorry to hear of your problem. The Subaru engine is an interference fit engine, so are you sure the engine wasn't destroyed when the timing belt broke? :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2000 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bobby,

Im not positive about anything.

When i turn the key it sounds normal just not firing!

Mark

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
I think you need to get a compression test. It's very possible/likely that the valves are bent.

·
Registered
2001 Forester "S" 4EAT
315 Posts
yep has to have compression to fire. bent valve = no compression.

I just changed the belt on my 2001 a few days ago. no problems,but mine had not broken first.

good luck on getting it fixed and back on the road. soon.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5spd
236 Posts
Hi everyone!

I was driving down the highway and snap goes my TB.
Bought new bearings, tensioner, belt.
Lined up marks on cams and crank.
Installed new parts.
Turn the key and no firing!

Gets fuel and fire.

Please let me know what a solution could be!!!

Thanks!
This happened to my 98 Forester back in Dec. I sold the car to a mechanic who wanted to rebuild it for his wife. He pulled the top off and found the valves destroyed. He ended up buying a new engine for it.

That sucks big dude.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,938 Posts
This is most likely a situation somewhere between expensive and death. It happened to my previous (non-Subaru) car, and it's what got me to buy my Forester about six months ahead of schedule. And just like Brad84, I sold the corpse to a mechanic at the shop I brought it to.

Do you have maintenance records? How long was it since timing belt change? Any chance the work was warranted?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
There may be hope since the OP has a Phase II SOHC (MY00). They tend to fare a little better in a timing belt self-destruction scenario than the DOHC variant. It also happened to RallyNav with her '01 recently, and aside from the new timimg belt she had a few valves replaced and kept on trucking.

·
Registered
2004 XS
11 Posts
Newbie here, but I read in the wrench article that there's 25% chance of no damage when a timing belt breaks on a subaru.

So there's hope (25%) :)

·
Registered
2002 Forester
292 Posts
I suppose you could check eBay for rebuilt heads, but most people would just remove it and take it to a local machine shop. I'd call around and ask.

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
89 Posts
I dunno guys.... I've seen interference engines loose timing belts and bend some valves but on all 4 cylinders to the point that no sign of combustion is detected? Did the T-belt break with engine at the red-line? How did you check to be sure you have fuel and fire?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
^^ if it is a manual or the torque converter is in lock-up the rotating assembly of the engine will be turned by the drive line until the operator or the TCU disengage the driveline from the engine. If the engine is spinning at 3000RPM a 1/2 second delay in reaction time or the TCU will result in about 25 revolutions of the crank, more then enough to wipe out the valves.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts