Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester Automatic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way to work last week (-25 F) when at about 35 miles I stopped at the gate to show the guard my ID. My car stalled as soon as I stopped at the gate. It would not restart. The starter was engaging and the motor was turning over but, no start.

I've done the following:
load tested the battery-good
charged the battery-good
checked fuel system-good
checked all fuses-none blown
error code P0304-checked camshaft sensor-checked out OK (removed it and tested it with an ohm meter, also tested the wires that go from it to the ECU)
there is no spark to the spark plugs
checked timing belt-looks good

So, no spark and the timing belt does not move when the starter turns the engine over. That doesn't seem normal to me. Does it to you?

What makes the timing belt turn?

·
Registered
323 Posts
If the timing belt is worn, the teeth on the belt will be missing and the crankshaft will spin independently of the camshafts. This can create a code. There will be no fire as the cam shafts are not spinning.

You may have more damage than a simple timing belt. I'd recommend removing the covers and inspecting the entire belt.

·
Registered
2000 Forester Automatic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will remove the covers and look at the rest of the belt Monday evening.

I'm also going to remove the oil pan and see what might be going on with the crank shaft. Is it possible that the crank shaft has failed in some way?

·
Registered
2003 Forester Auto
22 Posts
When you crank the car is the crank pulley turning? If so don't bother pulling the pan. Pull off the timing cover on the drivers side and see if the t belt is tight on it. Now I'm hoping for not this but I've seen on other brands (Nissan) the crank pulley not put on tight enough and allowing the crank timing gear to wobble abit. This can cause the woodruff key to shear...I hope this isn't the case since this may mean you bent your valves or worse...good luck...matt

Can't remember if this motor uses woodruff keys on the crank specifically but any key could break in that kinda temp...believe me I'm from northern Vermont and when my wife and I lived there it happened more than once to her s box cars.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,713 Posts
Make sure if the teeth on the belt are stripped you don't touch anything causing the cams and crank to move (bending valves)

·
Registered
2000 Forester Automatic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Final diagnosis:
The timing belt teeth were worn down to the point that it was no longer able to be engaged by the crankshaft. Mechanic replaced the timing belt and had to replace the valves to (they were bent). $2700 for timing belt, valves, head gaskets. Runs quit well now for last four months. Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts