Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Forester Automatic
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys, Thanks for reading this. So here is the deal, i just bought a 2000 Subaru Forester Sti from out of Japan.

I noticed that i'm burning up a lot of fuel these days, i've been doing a lot of research on the issue but not making any headway with it.

i decided to put the issue out there and hope one of you guys can assist me with it, its becoming a pocket sore and i don't do a lot of driving (work to home).

some assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I have changed spark plugs, fuel filter, oil, injector cleaner, and still no improvement.

thanks much
jwijnaldum

·
Registered
2002 Forester s 5-speed
15 Posts
you really need to find a scan tool and see what your data is. even global OBDII should be able to give you what you need. Most important numbers are going to be Bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1. You also want to look at long term fuel trim and short term fuel trim. once you can tell me this stuff it will be way easier to point you in the right direction! :Banane17:

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,960 Posts
Heavy fuel consumption is sometimes a relative/subjective view point, what averages per tankful are you getting? If you have an answer, it needs to be specified as Imp or US gallons (I don't know which measurements you guys use). What sort of driving is involved, urban, rural, short journeys (under 5 miles/8km), long ones etc? Would you say your driving is easy, moderate or "giving it some"? The JDM FSTI mated to an auto box is not a recipe for good fuel consumption and many Foz owners would say that if economy is any where on your list of priorities then perhaps a petrol Forester is probably not the best buy.

What do you think about the general running? Is the idle smooth? Is acceleration as you would expect? Can you smell petrol? Any hesitation/stuttering etc?

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Turbo Manual
932 Posts
There wont be any OBDII scan tools that work with it. Its not OBDII compliant, despite having the port that looks that way.

A JDM would require at least 99RON petrol, so if you aren't using that, that could be an issue.

·
Registered
2003 Forester Turbo Manual
137 Posts
Sounds like a coil issue. Is it misfiring occasionally? If it is then i would start by checking if any of the plugs are wet and replace the coil on that one.
If not the first thing i would do is get it remapped as JDM cars tend to blow motors cause the RON rating in europe sucks ***! The tuner will be able to tell you if there is another issue as well!

·
Registered
2001 Forester STI Type M Manual
1 Posts
May sound stupid, but ...

Have you checked your tyre pressures ?

If you're running fat tyres on low pressure, this could be it.

Also check your auto gearbox oil level, if you're missing some ATF for any reason, your torque converter will have a hard time converting huh ... your torque ...

Getting your car aligned could be a good idea too ;)

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,960 Posts
Perhaps you could post up some average/estimated fuel figures (stating Imperial/US or metric mpg) and what your daily driving involves. Urban and town/city driving in a JDM STI with a 4EAT is going to be disappointing anyway fuel wise, but not in the performance arena. One missing item from your list of replaced parts is the O2 sensor which is a known issue on older Sbarus and will not give a CEL. If you do replace this, along with all other sensors it must be a genuine Subaru part.

Although you posted on the service parts you had replaced in your primary question there has been no more communication relative to the the 'ideas' posed by other members trying to help you, as above. In the absence of any report of poor running and other issues or replies to the suggestions given we cannot assist you further without your participation. Hoping all is ok with you though.

·
Registered
2001 Forester STi 6spd with MapDCCD and 535hp
4,706 Posts
Oxygen sensor maybe? If that goes or fouls over, your efficiency goes to the birds so to speak. It can make a critical difference

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for your input on the issue, but so far I'm still battling with the same fuel issue, it's crazy. I have no check engine light, also I made a few changes to sensor(maf, 02, spark plugs, air filter, oil, full service and still nothing, any other suggestions?? Let me know.

·
Registered
1998 Forester L Automatic
269 Posts
Nobody can help until you tell us what fuel consumption you're getting, and what type of driving you're doing.

·
Lucas
2004 Forester XT Manual
2,825 Posts
As all above mention, I would start with replacing MAF sensor (I am not sure wheter the SF had newer version of MAF, or the old so called weak one which was used in classic Impreza) and front O2 sensor.

EDIT: Sorry I just notice I missed the thread where you saying you replace all the sensors. Apologies for that. In that case, we really need more data. What is your average consumption, are mostly commuting or spending a lot in traffic. How aggressive do you drive? Believe me I know people in my country who bought Impreza STI's and whenever they need to fill it up they crying! Subaru is great car, but defo not economical green friendly one! Perhaps everything is fine, and you just have to accept huge consumption, or sell the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, here is some data for you guys, on daily basis i drive a total of 21 km on a $50 tank of fuel and by the next day i have to stop by the gas station the next day. i'm driving a 40 to 60 miles per hour range.

i have been doing alot of research and on my discovery a few highlights point to the Coolant temperature senor, also i forgot to mention that i smell fuel through the exhaust from time to time, could this be of a failing temperature sensor.

let me know

·
Registered
1999 Forester ST/B A Auto
44 Posts
it's still not enough information

do at least 2-3 full gas tank fill ups.

1st fill - note how many litres or gallons goes in until it's full
Drive until your next fill
repeat 2 or 3 times and let us know how many km/litre or miles/gallon you are getting

on average you should be getting roughly 10-12L/100km with mixed driving

On another note, this is a cheap way to hook up a OBDII scan tool for your forester

Working OBD2 on jdm ecu!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts